RE: [NH] HTMLib, htmlhelp.com, Other References (was re: learning)

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 5, 2001
      Hi Jody,

      > Perhaps you all can send the references you use with links and
      > say a short paragraph about it. I will then compile them and
      > make a post with them all together.

      At http://www.htmlhelp.com/distribution/ you'll find a set of download links for
      the Web Design Group's HTML3.2, HTML4.0 and CSS1 guides (typical file size
      250kB) which I have found very readable and easy to use.

      These are available for a variety of platforms and in a number of formats and
      there are several mirrors in the US and Europe for most of these. (The formats
      include: Windows 95/98/NT4 Help, Zipped HTML and Windows 3.x Help depending on
      the document. For those using other platforms OS/2 INF, Tar'd, gzip'd HTML,
      Macintosh DOCMaker, PDF, AppleWorks macros for Apple II and Stuffed HTML are
      also available for certain documents.)

      The guides provide indexes by alphabet and function to all relevant HTML and CSS
      tags/selectors and provide, not only correct syntax, but also guidance on their
      use, particularly pointing out alternatives to the deprecated features of
      HTML4.0.

      The only possible disadvantages of these guides is that they appear no longer to
      be being developed, the last update to the site being dated 1999 and they
      approach the whole issue of writing HTML/Stylesheets from the perspectives of
      the W3C standards rather than current browsers.

      On the subject of browser implementations I found these URLs helpful:

      Frame Quirks on Navigator (12/6/99)
      http://www.builder.com/Authoring/Tagmania/120699/index.html
      which explains the appalling mess you get into if you rely on pixel defined
      frame sizes. (There are a number of other links from here which look as if they
      are worth investigation!)

      STYLE SHEETS KNOWN ISSUES
      http://developer.netscape.com/support/bugs/known/css.html
      Netscape's own admission on what is wrong with their browser.

      Chart of CSS1 implementation problems in Browsers
      http://webreview.com/guides/style/notes.html

      Greg
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 5, 2001
        Hi Greg,

        >> Perhaps you all can send the references you use with links and
        >> say a short paragraph about it. I will then compile them and
        >> make a post with them all together.
        >
        >At http://www.htmlhelp.com/distribution/ you'll find

        Thanks guy, I'll file it in my ntb-HTML mailbox and see if we get
        some more takers. :) I did finally get the html version of the 4.0. :)

        http://www.notetab.net

        The NoteTab and Html List...
        mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
      • Greg Chapman
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 5, 2001
          Hi Lotta,

          > If you want to try if the program runs without
          > installation, just holler and I'll send you the .exe and the
          > accompanying .dll.

          I forgot to say "Yes, please" to that, but aren't I picking up that it needs the
          VBasic runtime (which I don't have installed) to work and isn't that what makes
          up the additional megabytes? If so I won't bother.

          Greg
        • Grant
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 5, 2001
            Here's a clip you might be interested in.
            Usingfull for checking for wellformedness in xml,
            You can parse xhtml and as xml if wellformed, so handy for xhtml docs also.
            Basically if the doc is parsed without errors it can be parsed as xml.
            The errors generate the reason for the parse failure, line number, text etc
            which is usefull for debugging(um I don't think you 'debug' xml), then takes
            you directly to the text in question in the doc.
            I tried it with a few typo's like <el attrib=" >(missed comma) and seemed to
            do a better job than 'tidy' in finding this error plus it takes you directly
            to the parse error in the doc . If you find it usefull place it on your
            clipbar.

            h=xhtmlLoader
            ^!Set %file%="^$GetScriptPath$xhtmlLoader.js"
            ^!Set %arg%="^$GetDocName$"
            ^!TextToFile "^%file%" ^$GetClipText(xhtmlDOM)$
            ;get rid of logo
            ^!Set %hostOptions%=^$StrFill(/;2)$nologo
            ;escape file
            ^!set %arg%=^$StrReplace(\;\\;^%arg%;True;False)$
            ^!setArray %CscriptOut%=^$GetOutput(Cscript "^%file%" "^%hostOptions%"
            "^%arg%")$
            ^!IFTrue ^$IsEmpty("^%CscriptOut%")$ ^!info "Parsed as wellformed xml"
            ^!IFTrue ^$IsEmpty("^%CscriptOut%")$ Exit
            ^!set %msg%=^%NL%
            ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%CscriptOut1%
            ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%NL%
            ^!set %msg%=^%msg%Parse error
            ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%CscriptOut2%
            ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%NL%
            ^!set %msg%=^%msg%occurred on line
            ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%TAB%
            ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%CscriptOut3%
            ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%NL%
            ^!set %msg%=^%msg%character position within the line
            ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%TAB%
            ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%CscriptOut4%
            ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%NL%^%NL%
            ^!set %msg%=^%msg%Text of the line containing the error
            ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%NL%
            ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%CscriptOut5%
            ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%NL%^%NL%^%NL%
            ^!set %msg%=^%msg%REASON FOR THE ERROR
            ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%NL%^%NL%
            ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%CscriptOut6%
            ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%NL%^%NL%^%NL%
            ^!info ^%msg%
            ^!Find "^%CscriptOut5" CIWS

            H=_xhtmlDOM
            //load xml
            var doc = new ActiveXObject("microsoft.xmldom");
            doc.validateOnParse = false;
            var ok = true
            doc.onreadystatechange = CheckState;
            doc.resolveExternals = false;