RE: [NH] re: learning

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 5, 2001
      Hi Lotta,

      > >If you want to try if the program runs without
      > >installation, just holler and I'll send you the .exe and the accompanying
      > >.dll.
      >
      > I was referring to HTMLib. It got a little mixed up.

      Now I am confused. I thought that's what we were talking about all along.

      Greg
    • Greg Chapman
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 5, 2001
        Hi Jody,

        > Perhaps you all can send the references you use with links and
        > say a short paragraph about it. I will then compile them and
        > make a post with them all together.

        At http://www.htmlhelp.com/distribution/ you'll find a set of download links for
        the Web Design Group's HTML3.2, HTML4.0 and CSS1 guides (typical file size
        250kB) which I have found very readable and easy to use.

        These are available for a variety of platforms and in a number of formats and
        there are several mirrors in the US and Europe for most of these. (The formats
        include: Windows 95/98/NT4 Help, Zipped HTML and Windows 3.x Help depending on
        the document. For those using other platforms OS/2 INF, Tar'd, gzip'd HTML,
        Macintosh DOCMaker, PDF, AppleWorks macros for Apple II and Stuffed HTML are
        also available for certain documents.)

        The guides provide indexes by alphabet and function to all relevant HTML and CSS
        tags/selectors and provide, not only correct syntax, but also guidance on their
        use, particularly pointing out alternatives to the deprecated features of
        HTML4.0.

        The only possible disadvantages of these guides is that they appear no longer to
        be being developed, the last update to the site being dated 1999 and they
        approach the whole issue of writing HTML/Stylesheets from the perspectives of
        the W3C standards rather than current browsers.

        On the subject of browser implementations I found these URLs helpful:

        Frame Quirks on Navigator (12/6/99)
        http://www.builder.com/Authoring/Tagmania/120699/index.html
        which explains the appalling mess you get into if you rely on pixel defined
        frame sizes. (There are a number of other links from here which look as if they
        are worth investigation!)

        STYLE SHEETS KNOWN ISSUES
        http://developer.netscape.com/support/bugs/known/css.html
        Netscape's own admission on what is wrong with their browser.

        Chart of CSS1 implementation problems in Browsers
        http://webreview.com/guides/style/notes.html

        Greg
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 5, 2001
          Hi Greg,

          >> Perhaps you all can send the references you use with links and
          >> say a short paragraph about it. I will then compile them and
          >> make a post with them all together.
          >
          >At http://www.htmlhelp.com/distribution/ you'll find

          Thanks guy, I'll file it in my ntb-HTML mailbox and see if we get
          some more takers. :) I did finally get the html version of the 4.0. :)

          http://www.notetab.net

          The NoteTab and Html List...
          mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
        • Greg Chapman
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 5, 2001
            Hi Lotta,

            > If you want to try if the program runs without
            > installation, just holler and I'll send you the .exe and the
            > accompanying .dll.

            I forgot to say "Yes, please" to that, but aren't I picking up that it needs the
            VBasic runtime (which I don't have installed) to work and isn't that what makes
            up the additional megabytes? If so I won't bother.

            Greg
          • Grant
            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 5, 2001
              Here's a clip you might be interested in.
              Usingfull for checking for wellformedness in xml,
              You can parse xhtml and as xml if wellformed, so handy for xhtml docs also.
              Basically if the doc is parsed without errors it can be parsed as xml.
              The errors generate the reason for the parse failure, line number, text etc
              which is usefull for debugging(um I don't think you 'debug' xml), then takes
              you directly to the text in question in the doc.
              I tried it with a few typo's like <el attrib=" >(missed comma) and seemed to
              do a better job than 'tidy' in finding this error plus it takes you directly
              to the parse error in the doc . If you find it usefull place it on your
              clipbar.

              h=xhtmlLoader
              ^!Set %file%="^$GetScriptPath$xhtmlLoader.js"
              ^!Set %arg%="^$GetDocName$"
              ^!TextToFile "^%file%" ^$GetClipText(xhtmlDOM)$
              ;get rid of logo
              ^!Set %hostOptions%=^$StrFill(/;2)$nologo
              ;escape file
              ^!set %arg%=^$StrReplace(\;\\;^%arg%;True;False)$
              ^!setArray %CscriptOut%=^$GetOutput(Cscript "^%file%" "^%hostOptions%"
              "^%arg%")$
              ^!IFTrue ^$IsEmpty("^%CscriptOut%")$ ^!info "Parsed as wellformed xml"
              ^!IFTrue ^$IsEmpty("^%CscriptOut%")$ Exit
              ^!set %msg%=^%NL%
              ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%CscriptOut1%
              ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%NL%
              ^!set %msg%=^%msg%Parse error
              ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%CscriptOut2%
              ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%NL%
              ^!set %msg%=^%msg%occurred on line
              ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%TAB%
              ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%CscriptOut3%
              ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%NL%
              ^!set %msg%=^%msg%character position within the line
              ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%TAB%
              ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%CscriptOut4%
              ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%NL%^%NL%
              ^!set %msg%=^%msg%Text of the line containing the error
              ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%NL%
              ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%CscriptOut5%
              ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%NL%^%NL%^%NL%
              ^!set %msg%=^%msg%REASON FOR THE ERROR
              ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%NL%^%NL%
              ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%CscriptOut6%
              ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%NL%^%NL%^%NL%
              ^!info ^%msg%
              ^!Find "^%CscriptOut5" CIWS

              H=_xhtmlDOM
              //load xml
              var doc = new ActiveXObject("microsoft.xmldom");
              doc.validateOnParse = false;
              var ok = true
              doc.onreadystatechange = CheckState;
              doc.resolveExternals = false;