RE: [NH] Dumb question time again

  • Jim Beidle
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 4, 2001
      Thanks for the explanation, Wayland. What you're saying makes sense, along
      with what I already knew and what Don related in his posting.

      As to WinNT 4.0 and Win2K, they were developed independently from DOS as
      true 32 bit Operating systems. While they have a "command line" mode that
      emulates DOS in some ways, it isn't DOS and was built from scratch. NT4 goes
      through a non-gui phase during start up as it loads various drivers, but
      this is not directly accessible by "Joe User". That's part of what makes NT
      more secure than its DOS/WIN cousins. A good reference on NT4 structure is
      the _Windows NT Workstation Resource Kit_; Another is _Running Windows NT
      Workstation 4.0_. NoteTab Pro works great on NT, BTW because Eric built it
      as a true 32-bit application. The 16-bit versions of NoteTab or any
      application may periodically fail since they may make DOS calls that aren't
      part of the NT structure. Hope all that helps.. . .

      Jim

      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 8, 2001
        Larry and all,

        I think all servers can be configured to handle any extension you care to
        add -- as long as you are the system administrator.

        In NT and Win2000, I can add as many default file name and extensions for
        the initial page as I want. If that isn't clear, my default extensions on
        the server I administer are:

        index.htm
        index.html
        index.cfm
        default.htm
        default.html

        If there is an index.htm file in the default directory for a URL, it is
        automatically displayed when someone types www.xyz.com (or whatever). If
        there is no index.htm then index.html will display, etc.

        These are fairly easily configured, but if you are an administrator and
        start setting each URL differently, doing tech support when a client has a
        problem is murder. Therefore, most administrators attempt to keep a fairly
        uniform list. If a customer asks for the default to be set to index.shtml
        for example, I will add it after my standard 5.

        For those of you who wonder, .cfm is Cold Fusion, which is what I mainly
        use.

        Toby Scott
        Ventura County Computers
        2175 Goodyear Avenue