Re: [NH] Dumb question time again

  • Lloyd
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 4, 2001
      Hi All,

      Thanks for all the quick answers. After reading them, I see it is just
      another thing that goes on the 'you are not into that yet' list.

      A few months ago, I only didn't know HTML. Now there are lots of things I
      don't know.

      Since I am on dumb questions, let me ask another. There is .HTM and .HTML
      why do I want one over the other and which.

      Lloyd
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      >See Help | NoteTab's Glossary for a quick short answer. :)
      >

      >Happy HTML'n!
      >Jody
    • lloyd2
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 14, 2003
        Hi All,

        Well, I finally made the plunge and decided to try to learn CSS. The first
        bottleneck I don't seem to be able to get around is:

        I want to use a linked stylesheet since there are lots of pages and I could
        put most of the things in a single place. Seems to work well until I wanted
        to do backgrounds on some of the pages. Actually I have five or six
        different backgrounds. I can make them work with embedded stylesheets in
        the appropriate places. Now comes the problem.

        If the background is in an embedded stylesheet, the linked stylesheet
        doesn't seem to work.

        Help!!!

        Just had a thought. Would Classes of backgrounds work? If so, I could just
        drop in the one I want when I want it.

        Lloyd
      • lloyd2
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 14, 2003
          Hi All,

          The Classes worked fine. Thanks for letting me bat this off someone.

          Lloyd
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
          >Just had a thought. Would Classes of backgrounds work? If so, I could just
          >drop in the one I want when I want it.
          >
          >Lloyd
        • Robert Romberger
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 14, 2003
            On 14 Jul 2003 at 19:49, lloyd2 wrote:

            > If the background is in an embedded stylesheet, the linked stylesheet
            > doesn't seem to work.

            One of the main problems with CSS is still in the adoption process of the
            various browsers. What works correctly according to the standard in one
            browser doesn't mean that it will in another - especially if there are
            different version of each browser. When I am doing background images for
            Netscape for instance, I can use a linked CSS for version 7, but not for
            version 4.x. Then add in compatibility issues with Opera and IE for
            instance, and I find that not one reads the CSS the same way (and some not
            even to the "standard"). What I end up doing is putting the background
            style in the linked CSS file as well as on each page. One way or another,
            the browsers will read and process the background CSS correctly. However,
            this does make for a bit of a problem when doing background replacements.
            :(

            --
            Robert

            Thought for the day: All good things are wild, and free. Henry David
            Thoreau
          • Rudolf Horbas
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 15, 2003
              Robert,

              > When I am doing background images for
              > Netscape for instance, I can use a linked CSS for version 7, but not for
              > version 4.x.

              AFAIK, Netscape 4.x reads the path relative to the html document, while
              ist should be relative to the style sheet; this is also the reason why
              Your inline styles work. To be sure, I use the full path:

              BODY {
              background-image: url(http://www.mysite.com/images/bg.gif);
              }

              or maybe the absolute path works as well:

              BODY {
              background-image: url(/images/bg.gif);
              }

              Rudi
              --
              "Despite its proven stress-relieving effect, I will not indulge in
              maniacal laughter. When so occupied, it's too easy to miss unexpected
              From: The Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord
              (http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html)
            • lloyd2
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 17, 2003
                Hi All,

                I am trying to learn some CSS . I have been trying to update my home page
                as a learning application. I just finished the first 10 pages, viewing them
                in Mozilla when I decided I had better try IE also. Ahhhhhh.......

                Now I have started again. I was using several "Classes". I used p.first,
                p.second, p.third, body.first, body.second, body.third, h.first, h.second,
                and h.third. For some reason IE doesn't like the h.first, etc. I then tried
                c.first, c.second, and c.third. It didn't like them either. It did accept
                b.first, b.second, etc.

                Can anyone tell me what can be used for "Classes" in most browsers? What
                are the rules for using "Classes"?

                Lloyd
              • Rudolf Horbas
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 18, 2003
                  Hi Lloyd,

                  > Now I have started again. I was using several "Classes". I used p.first,
                  > p.second, p.third, body.first, body.second, body.third, h.first, h.second,
                  > and h.third. For some reason IE doesn't like the h.first, etc. I then tried
                  > c.first, c.second, and c.third. It didn't like them either. It did accept
                  > b.first, b.second, etc.

                  What comes before the class name has to be a valid html element (block
                  or inline) as e.g.:
                  p.first {...}
                  td.first {...}
                  table.first {...}
                  div.first {...}
                  h1.first {...}

                  h and c are not valid elements, so this is probably why Your css doesn't
                  work. b is (well, kind of: bold, but it's deprecated), but that's
                  probably not what You had in mind.

                  What You can do is define a class without an element:

                  .first { yourstyle }

                  and then assign it to any element You like (if the format properties
                  make sense):

                  or

                  Also, using more than one body element (body.first, etc.) in one
                  document is absolutely illegal. Or did You assign the body styles for
                  different documents?

                  If Your website is accessible online, why don't You have Your css
                  checked by the W3C?
                  http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator-uri.html

                  BTW, if You are using Mozilla, there is a good plug in called "Checky"
                  that makes a variety of checks available (HTML and css) via the context
                  menu:
                  http://checky.mozdev.org/

                  HTH,
                  Rudi
                  --
                  D-80995 M√ľnchen, Germany
                  "When I employ people as advisors, I will occasionally listen to their
                  From: The Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 18, 2003
                    On 18 Jul 2003 at 10:48, Rudolf Horbas wrote:

                    > h and c are not valid elements, so this is probably why Your css doesn't

                    FWIW, "h" is a valid html element - header, as in h1, h2, h3. However,
                    the original question posed using "h" by itself, which is not a valid
                    element. The correct way would be: h1.first {...}, h2.first{...}, etc.

                    --
                    Robert

                    Thought for the day: I must stand up in search of the truth, if I don't I
                    only roll with the flow of the lie and make it stronger. Sovereign
                  • Rudolf Horbas
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 21, 2003
                      Robert Romberger wrote:
                      > On 18 Jul 2003 at 10:48, Rudolf Horbas wrote:
                      >>h and c are not valid elements, so this is probably why Your css doesn't

                      > FWIW, "h" is a valid html element - header, as in h1, h2, h3. However,
                      > the original question posed using "h" by itself, which is not a valid
                      > element. The correct way would be: h1.first {...}, h2.first{...}, etc.

                      Of course :-}
                      But, as You mentioned, only valid with the level indicator (1-6).

                      Rudi
                    • Robert Romberger
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 22, 2003
                        On 15 Jul 2003 at 10:22, Rudolf Horbas wrote:

                        > AFAIK, Netscape 4.x reads the path relative to the html document, while ist
                        > should be relative to the style sheet; this is also the reason why Your
                        > inline styles work. To be sure, I use the full path:
                        >
                        > BODY {
                        > background-image: url(http://www.mysite.com/images/bg.gif);
                        > }
                        >
                        > or maybe the absolute path works as well:
                        >
                        > BODY {
                        > background-image: url(/images/bg.gif);
                        > }

                        I'll have to try this out. Older versions of IE didn't do the relative
                        path in the linked style sheet either, but I haven't played with it since I
                        use a work-around by including the background image style on the page
                        itself as well as in the linked style sheet.

                        --
                        Robert

                        Thought for the day: Our worst enemies here are not the ignorant and
                        simple, however cruel; our worst enemies are the intelligent and corrupt.
                        Graham Greene