HTMLib, htmlhelp.com, Other References (was re: learning)

    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 3, 2001
      Hi Lotta and Greg,

      Perhaps you all can send the references you use with links and
      say a short paragraph about it. I will then compile them and
      make a post with them all together. We can then just refer
      somebody to the eGroups post and/or I will put it at my site in
      HTML and have Eric link to it. I'm sure I have all the ones you
      posted, but...

      >LOL. I didn't see that! I must have looked at the more reasonable
      >size of the update. But it's true the installed program is 217kB.
      >The only thing wrong with it is that it's slow. Maybe because my
      >copy is lacking some 2500kb? :-D

      For an older reference that is much faster not lacking much from
      version 4 of HTMLib and to me easier to navigate - I like the
      format better myself then try:

      Version 3
      http://www.hooked.net/~tails/htmlib/

      There is a link to BK Color Coder on my NoteTab Enhancement page
      which you can try out to replace the one that comes with HTMLib
      or MS for it. You can load a Netscape safe color palette in if
      you want and it also has a one of those color droppers to pick up
      a color off your screen somewhere (with viewer for color mouse it
      over). It has been so long since I looked the stuff I forgot,
      but details are at:

      http://www.notetab.net/html/addons.htm

      Just checked version 3 for you:

      Option 1
      http://www.igateway.net/tucows/files/htmlib9530.zip
      Full Package - Everything + All Required VB Files.
      2,777,239 Bytes

      Option 2
      http://www.wenet.net/~tails/htmlib/htmlib9530lite.zip
      Lite Package - Everything Without the Required VB Files.
      469,954 Bytes

      Option 3
      http://www.igateway.net/tucows/files/htmlib30.zip
      Windows 3.x package.
      364.738 Bytes

      !! Note: !! - If you already have Visual Basic 4.x installed, you
      may want to download only the Light package (Option 2). If you do
      not have Visual Basic 4.x installed, you should choose the full
      package (Option 1). Finally, if you are running Windows 3.x,
      download Option 3.

      I do not think you need IE installed for version 3 to work. It
      does not use the .chm format like version 4.

      >> He's the author of the reference I like. The same thing in
      >> WinHELP appears to be available completely free from
      >> http://www.htmlhelp.com/distribution/ 222k.

      >Oh yes, exactly the same contents. But I find that the .chm
      >format is easier to use. If you want to try if the program runs
      >without installation, just holler and I'll send you the .exe and
      >the accompanying .dll.

      Has he ever released that version without the program or whatever
      it is you have? OH, maybe that is what you are saying - yes, add
      me to your list. :)

      http://www.notetab.net

      The NoteTab and Html List...
      mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
    • Greg Chapman
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 5, 2001
        Hi Lotta,

        > >If you want to try if the program runs without
        > >installation, just holler and I'll send you the .exe and the accompanying
        > >.dll.
        >
        > I was referring to HTMLib. It got a little mixed up.

        Now I am confused. I thought that's what we were talking about all along.

        Greg
      • Greg Chapman
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 5, 2001
          Hi Jody,

          > Perhaps you all can send the references you use with links and
          > say a short paragraph about it. I will then compile them and
          > make a post with them all together.

          At http://www.htmlhelp.com/distribution/ you'll find a set of download links for
          the Web Design Group's HTML3.2, HTML4.0 and CSS1 guides (typical file size
          250kB) which I have found very readable and easy to use.

          These are available for a variety of platforms and in a number of formats and
          there are several mirrors in the US and Europe for most of these. (The formats
          include: Windows 95/98/NT4 Help, Zipped HTML and Windows 3.x Help depending on
          the document. For those using other platforms OS/2 INF, Tar'd, gzip'd HTML,
          Macintosh DOCMaker, PDF, AppleWorks macros for Apple II and Stuffed HTML are
          also available for certain documents.)

          The guides provide indexes by alphabet and function to all relevant HTML and CSS
          tags/selectors and provide, not only correct syntax, but also guidance on their
          use, particularly pointing out alternatives to the deprecated features of
          HTML4.0.

          The only possible disadvantages of these guides is that they appear no longer to
          be being developed, the last update to the site being dated 1999 and they
          approach the whole issue of writing HTML/Stylesheets from the perspectives of
          the W3C standards rather than current browsers.

          On the subject of browser implementations I found these URLs helpful:

          Frame Quirks on Navigator (12/6/99)
          http://www.builder.com/Authoring/Tagmania/120699/index.html
          which explains the appalling mess you get into if you rely on pixel defined
          frame sizes. (There are a number of other links from here which look as if they
          are worth investigation!)

          STYLE SHEETS KNOWN ISSUES
          http://developer.netscape.com/support/bugs/known/css.html
          Netscape's own admission on what is wrong with their browser.

          Chart of CSS1 implementation problems in Browsers
          http://webreview.com/guides/style/notes.html

          Greg
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 5, 2001
            Hi Greg,

            >> Perhaps you all can send the references you use with links and
            >> say a short paragraph about it. I will then compile them and
            >> make a post with them all together.
            >
            >At http://www.htmlhelp.com/distribution/ you'll find

            Thanks guy, I'll file it in my ntb-HTML mailbox and see if we get
            some more takers. :) I did finally get the html version of the 4.0. :)

            http://www.notetab.net

            The NoteTab and Html List...
            mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
          • Greg Chapman
            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 5, 2001
              Hi Lotta,

              > If you want to try if the program runs without
              > installation, just holler and I'll send you the .exe and the
              > accompanying .dll.

              I forgot to say "Yes, please" to that, but aren't I picking up that it needs the
              VBasic runtime (which I don't have installed) to work and isn't that what makes
              up the additional megabytes? If so I won't bother.

              Greg
            • Grant
              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 5, 2001
                Here's a clip you might be interested in.
                Usingfull for checking for wellformedness in xml,
                You can parse xhtml and as xml if wellformed, so handy for xhtml docs also.
                Basically if the doc is parsed without errors it can be parsed as xml.
                The errors generate the reason for the parse failure, line number, text etc
                which is usefull for debugging(um I don't think you 'debug' xml), then takes
                you directly to the text in question in the doc.
                I tried it with a few typo's like <el attrib=" >(missed comma) and seemed to
                do a better job than 'tidy' in finding this error plus it takes you directly
                to the parse error in the doc . If you find it usefull place it on your
                clipbar.

                h=xhtmlLoader
                ^!Set %file%="^$GetScriptPath$xhtmlLoader.js"
                ^!Set %arg%="^$GetDocName$"
                ^!TextToFile "^%file%" ^$GetClipText(xhtmlDOM)$
                ;get rid of logo
                ^!Set %hostOptions%=^$StrFill(/;2)$nologo
                ;escape file
                ^!set %arg%=^$StrReplace(\;\\;^%arg%;True;False)$
                ^!setArray %CscriptOut%=^$GetOutput(Cscript "^%file%" "^%hostOptions%"
                "^%arg%")$
                ^!IFTrue ^$IsEmpty("^%CscriptOut%")$ ^!info "Parsed as wellformed xml"
                ^!IFTrue ^$IsEmpty("^%CscriptOut%")$ Exit
                ^!set %msg%=^%NL%
                ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%CscriptOut1%
                ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%NL%
                ^!set %msg%=^%msg%Parse error
                ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%CscriptOut2%
                ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%NL%
                ^!set %msg%=^%msg%occurred on line
                ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%TAB%
                ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%CscriptOut3%
                ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%NL%
                ^!set %msg%=^%msg%character position within the line
                ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%TAB%
                ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%CscriptOut4%
                ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%NL%^%NL%
                ^!set %msg%=^%msg%Text of the line containing the error
                ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%NL%
                ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%CscriptOut5%
                ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%NL%^%NL%^%NL%
                ^!set %msg%=^%msg%REASON FOR THE ERROR
                ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%NL%^%NL%
                ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%CscriptOut6%
                ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%NL%^%NL%^%NL%
                ^!info ^%msg%
                ^!Find "^%CscriptOut5" CIWS

                H=_xhtmlDOM
                //load xml
                var doc = new ActiveXObject("microsoft.xmldom");
                doc.validateOnParse = false;
                var ok = true
                doc.onreadystatechange = CheckState;
                doc.resolveExternals = false;