RE: [NH] re: learning

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 3, 2001
      Hi Lotta,

      > The WDG library is a reference on standard w3c HTML. The work of
      > Le Hunte is a reference on what "tags" are interpreted by browsers, which
      > is, as we know, not the same thing.

      Indeed!

      > http://www.htmlib.com/what.htm

      Yeah! I read that page and all was fine up to that point.

      > Personally I like both even if HTML 4.0 reference is closest to heart, and
      > find that they complement each other quite well. It isn't big Greg. It's
      > 217 kB installed,

      Then I moved onto the http://www.htmlib.com/where.htm page where it told me I'd
      need:

      "The file you eventually download should be called hlbsetup.exe and be 3,062,797
      bytes."

      (I run Win98SE so I didn't appear to need any updating of my system files to run
      HTMLib)

      What you say (217 kB installed) and the page says don't necessarily conflict, of
      course, if there's a way of getting an 217kB installation without the
      time/hassle/expense of downloading 3,062,797 bytes, let me know!

      > The HTML 4.0 reference in chm format is included in the off line version of
      > the WDG validator, ARV by Liam Quinn. Not free, but free trial. My
      > favorite.

      He's the author of the reference I like. The same thing in WinHELP appears to
      be available completely free from http://www.htmlhelp.com/distribution/ 222k.
      (As mentioned before I happen to use the (zipped) HTML version 221kB.)

      > Bottom line: one can never get to many references

      I'll go along with that!

      Greg
    • Greg Chapman
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 3, 2001
        Hi Jody,

        > <Jody on an outrage again just when you thought it was over <g>>

        I bet you feel better for that! :-)

        Greg
      • Lotta
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 3, 2001
          Hello Greg!

          >"The file you eventually download should be called hlbsetup.exe and be
          >3,062,797
          >bytes."

          >What you say (217 kB installed) and the page says don't necessarily
          >conflict, of
          >course, if there's a way of getting an 217kB installation without the
          >time/hassle/expense of downloading 3,062,797 bytes, let me know!

          LOL. I didn't see that! I must have looked at the more reasonable size of
          the update. But it's true the installed program is 217kB. The only thing
          wrong with it is that it's slow. Maybe because my copy is lacking some
          2500kb? :-D

          I don't know if it dumps something in Windows or something. But why should
          it? Maybe it's just a monster installation file. I lied to you on one point
          though. The installed file is an .exe not a .chm. Peculiar, I think Quinn
          talks about html help format, doesn't he?

          >>The HTML 4.0 reference in chm format is included in the off line version of
          >>the WDG validator, ARV by Liam Quinn. Not free, but free trial. My favorite.

          >He's the author of the reference I like. The same thing in WinHELP appears to
          >be available completely free from http://www.htmlhelp.com/distribution/ 222k.

          Oh yes, exactly the same contents. But I find that the .chm format is
          easier to use. If you want to try if the program runs without
          installation, just holler and I'll send you the .exe and the accompanying .dll.

          Bye,

        • Lotta
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 3, 2001
            Greg,

            >If you want to try if the program runs without
            >installation, just holler and I'll send you the .exe and the accompanying
            >.dll.

            I was referring to HTMLib. It got a little mixed up.

            /L.
            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 3, 2001
              Hi Lotta and Greg,

              Perhaps you all can send the references you use with links and
              say a short paragraph about it. I will then compile them and
              make a post with them all together. We can then just refer
              somebody to the eGroups post and/or I will put it at my site in
              HTML and have Eric link to it. I'm sure I have all the ones you
              posted, but...

              >LOL. I didn't see that! I must have looked at the more reasonable
              >size of the update. But it's true the installed program is 217kB.
              >The only thing wrong with it is that it's slow. Maybe because my
              >copy is lacking some 2500kb? :-D

              For an older reference that is much faster not lacking much from
              version 4 of HTMLib and to me easier to navigate - I like the
              format better myself then try:

              Version 3
              http://www.hooked.net/~tails/htmlib/

              There is a link to BK Color Coder on my NoteTab Enhancement page
              which you can try out to replace the one that comes with HTMLib
              or MS for it. You can load a Netscape safe color palette in if
              you want and it also has a one of those color droppers to pick up
              a color off your screen somewhere (with viewer for color mouse it
              over). It has been so long since I looked the stuff I forgot,
              but details are at:

              http://www.notetab.net/html/addons.htm

              Just checked version 3 for you:

              Option 1
              http://www.igateway.net/tucows/files/htmlib9530.zip
              Full Package - Everything + All Required VB Files.
              2,777,239 Bytes

              Option 2
              http://www.wenet.net/~tails/htmlib/htmlib9530lite.zip
              Lite Package - Everything Without the Required VB Files.
              469,954 Bytes

              Option 3
              http://www.igateway.net/tucows/files/htmlib30.zip
              Windows 3.x package.
              364.738 Bytes

              !! Note: !! - If you already have Visual Basic 4.x installed, you
              may want to download only the Light package (Option 2). If you do
              not have Visual Basic 4.x installed, you should choose the full
              package (Option 1). Finally, if you are running Windows 3.x,
              download Option 3.

              I do not think you need IE installed for version 3 to work. It
              does not use the .chm format like version 4.

              >> He's the author of the reference I like. The same thing in
              >> WinHELP appears to be available completely free from
              >> http://www.htmlhelp.com/distribution/ 222k.

              >Oh yes, exactly the same contents. But I find that the .chm
              >format is easier to use. If you want to try if the program runs
              >without installation, just holler and I'll send you the .exe and
              >the accompanying .dll.

              Has he ever released that version without the program or whatever
              it is you have? OH, maybe that is what you are saying - yes, add
              me to your list. :)

              http://www.notetab.net

              The NoteTab and Html List...
              mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
            • Greg Chapman
              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 5, 2001
                Hi Lotta,

                > >If you want to try if the program runs without
                > >installation, just holler and I'll send you the .exe and the accompanying
                > >.dll.
                >
                > I was referring to HTMLib. It got a little mixed up.

                Now I am confused. I thought that's what we were talking about all along.

                Greg
              • Greg Chapman
                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 5, 2001
                  Hi Jody,

                  > Perhaps you all can send the references you use with links and
                  > say a short paragraph about it. I will then compile them and
                  > make a post with them all together.

                  At http://www.htmlhelp.com/distribution/ you'll find a set of download links for
                  the Web Design Group's HTML3.2, HTML4.0 and CSS1 guides (typical file size
                  250kB) which I have found very readable and easy to use.

                  These are available for a variety of platforms and in a number of formats and
                  there are several mirrors in the US and Europe for most of these. (The formats
                  include: Windows 95/98/NT4 Help, Zipped HTML and Windows 3.x Help depending on
                  the document. For those using other platforms OS/2 INF, Tar'd, gzip'd HTML,
                  Macintosh DOCMaker, PDF, AppleWorks macros for Apple II and Stuffed HTML are
                  also available for certain documents.)

                  The guides provide indexes by alphabet and function to all relevant HTML and CSS
                  tags/selectors and provide, not only correct syntax, but also guidance on their
                  use, particularly pointing out alternatives to the deprecated features of
                  HTML4.0.

                  The only possible disadvantages of these guides is that they appear no longer to
                  be being developed, the last update to the site being dated 1999 and they
                  approach the whole issue of writing HTML/Stylesheets from the perspectives of
                  the W3C standards rather than current browsers.

                  On the subject of browser implementations I found these URLs helpful:

                  Frame Quirks on Navigator (12/6/99)
                  http://www.builder.com/Authoring/Tagmania/120699/index.html
                  which explains the appalling mess you get into if you rely on pixel defined
                  frame sizes. (There are a number of other links from here which look as if they
                  are worth investigation!)

                  STYLE SHEETS KNOWN ISSUES
                  http://developer.netscape.com/support/bugs/known/css.html
                  Netscape's own admission on what is wrong with their browser.

                  Chart of CSS1 implementation problems in Browsers
                  http://webreview.com/guides/style/notes.html

                  Greg
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 5, 2001
                    Hi Greg,

                    >> Perhaps you all can send the references you use with links and
                    >> say a short paragraph about it. I will then compile them and
                    >> make a post with them all together.
                    >
                    >At http://www.htmlhelp.com/distribution/ you'll find

                    Thanks guy, I'll file it in my ntb-HTML mailbox and see if we get
                    some more takers. :) I did finally get the html version of the 4.0. :)

                    http://www.notetab.net

                    The NoteTab and Html List...
                    mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
                  • Greg Chapman
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 5, 2001
                      Hi Lotta,

                      > If you want to try if the program runs without
                      > installation, just holler and I'll send you the .exe and the
                      > accompanying .dll.

                      I forgot to say "Yes, please" to that, but aren't I picking up that it needs the
                      VBasic runtime (which I don't have installed) to work and isn't that what makes
                      up the additional megabytes? If so I won't bother.

                      Greg
                    • Grant
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 5, 2001
                        Here's a clip you might be interested in.
                        Usingfull for checking for wellformedness in xml,
                        You can parse xhtml and as xml if wellformed, so handy for xhtml docs also.
                        Basically if the doc is parsed without errors it can be parsed as xml.
                        The errors generate the reason for the parse failure, line number, text etc
                        which is usefull for debugging(um I don't think you 'debug' xml), then takes
                        you directly to the text in question in the doc.
                        I tried it with a few typo's like <el attrib=" >(missed comma) and seemed to
                        do a better job than 'tidy' in finding this error plus it takes you directly
                        to the parse error in the doc . If you find it usefull place it on your
                        clipbar.

                        h=xhtmlLoader
                        ^!Set %file%="^$GetScriptPath$xhtmlLoader.js"
                        ^!Set %arg%="^$GetDocName$"
                        ^!TextToFile "^%file%" ^$GetClipText(xhtmlDOM)$
                        ;get rid of logo
                        ^!Set %hostOptions%=^$StrFill(/;2)$nologo
                        ;escape file
                        ^!set %arg%=^$StrReplace(\;\\;^%arg%;True;False)$
                        ^!setArray %CscriptOut%=^$GetOutput(Cscript "^%file%" "^%hostOptions%"
                        "^%arg%")$
                        ^!IFTrue ^$IsEmpty("^%CscriptOut%")$ ^!info "Parsed as wellformed xml"
                        ^!IFTrue ^$IsEmpty("^%CscriptOut%")$ Exit
                        ^!set %msg%=^%NL%
                        ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%CscriptOut1%
                        ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%NL%
                        ^!set %msg%=^%msg%Parse error
                        ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%CscriptOut2%
                        ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%NL%
                        ^!set %msg%=^%msg%occurred on line
                        ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%TAB%
                        ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%CscriptOut3%
                        ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%NL%
                        ^!set %msg%=^%msg%character position within the line
                        ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%TAB%
                        ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%CscriptOut4%
                        ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%NL%^%NL%
                        ^!set %msg%=^%msg%Text of the line containing the error
                        ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%NL%
                        ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%CscriptOut5%
                        ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%NL%^%NL%^%NL%
                        ^!set %msg%=^%msg%REASON FOR THE ERROR
                        ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%NL%^%NL%
                        ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%CscriptOut6%
                        ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%NL%^%NL%^%NL%
                        ^!info ^%msg%
                        ^!Find "^%CscriptOut5" CIWS

                        H=_xhtmlDOM
                        //load xml
                        var doc = new ActiveXObject("microsoft.xmldom");
                        doc.validateOnParse = false;
                        var ok = true
                        doc.onreadystatechange = CheckState;
                        doc.resolveExternals = false;