Re: [NH] re: learning

  • toushoes
    Message 1 of 28 , Dec 31, 2000
      Lotta, Would you "share" your method for getting rid of the edit
      window in ARV? Tks..

      @ ]]) Wendy
      @ ]]) aka: Toushoes

      On Sat, 30 Dec 2000 16:21:52 +0100, you wrote:

      >The HTML 4.0 reference in chm format is included in the off line version of
      >the WDG validator, ARV by Liam Quinn. Not free, but free trial. My
      >favorite. The output is nice, clear and informative and it works very well
      >with NTB. With Wordwrap off, the line numbers correspond and you can run
      >them side by side. Unfortunately ARV also requires IE and HTML help to be
      >installed. BTW if somebody else uses it and also hate the useless editor
      >window that was added in the latest version, I know how to get rid off it
      >and gladly share.
      >http://arealvalidator.com/
      >
      >Bottom line: one can never get to many references
      >
      >Peace on earth,
      >Lotta
    • Lotta
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 1, 2001
        Hi Wendy,

        >Would you "share" your method for getting rid of the edit
        >window in ARV?

        Yeppers. I'll send it to you privately since I guess it's of limited
        interest. Stupid window will soon be gone<G>

        Lotta
      • Greg Chapman
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 3, 2001
          Hi Lotta,

          > The WDG library is a reference on standard w3c HTML. The work of
          > Le Hunte is a reference on what "tags" are interpreted by browsers, which
          > is, as we know, not the same thing.

          Indeed!

          > http://www.htmlib.com/what.htm

          Yeah! I read that page and all was fine up to that point.

          > Personally I like both even if HTML 4.0 reference is closest to heart, and
          > find that they complement each other quite well. It isn't big Greg. It's
          > 217 kB installed,

          Then I moved onto the http://www.htmlib.com/where.htm page where it told me I'd
          need:

          "The file you eventually download should be called hlbsetup.exe and be 3,062,797
          bytes."

          (I run Win98SE so I didn't appear to need any updating of my system files to run
          HTMLib)

          What you say (217 kB installed) and the page says don't necessarily conflict, of
          course, if there's a way of getting an 217kB installation without the
          time/hassle/expense of downloading 3,062,797 bytes, let me know!

          > The HTML 4.0 reference in chm format is included in the off line version of
          > the WDG validator, ARV by Liam Quinn. Not free, but free trial. My
          > favorite.

          He's the author of the reference I like. The same thing in WinHELP appears to
          be available completely free from http://www.htmlhelp.com/distribution/ 222k.
          (As mentioned before I happen to use the (zipped) HTML version 221kB.)

          > Bottom line: one can never get to many references

          I'll go along with that!

          Greg
        • Greg Chapman
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 3, 2001
            Hi Jody,

            > <Jody on an outrage again just when you thought it was over <g>>

            I bet you feel better for that! :-)

            Greg
          • Lotta
            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 3, 2001
              Hello Greg!

              >"The file you eventually download should be called hlbsetup.exe and be
              >3,062,797
              >bytes."

              >What you say (217 kB installed) and the page says don't necessarily
              >conflict, of
              >course, if there's a way of getting an 217kB installation without the
              >time/hassle/expense of downloading 3,062,797 bytes, let me know!

              LOL. I didn't see that! I must have looked at the more reasonable size of
              the update. But it's true the installed program is 217kB. The only thing
              wrong with it is that it's slow. Maybe because my copy is lacking some
              2500kb? :-D

              I don't know if it dumps something in Windows or something. But why should
              it? Maybe it's just a monster installation file. I lied to you on one point
              though. The installed file is an .exe not a .chm. Peculiar, I think Quinn
              talks about html help format, doesn't he?

              >>The HTML 4.0 reference in chm format is included in the off line version of
              >>the WDG validator, ARV by Liam Quinn. Not free, but free trial. My favorite.

              >He's the author of the reference I like. The same thing in WinHELP appears to
              >be available completely free from http://www.htmlhelp.com/distribution/ 222k.

              Oh yes, exactly the same contents. But I find that the .chm format is
              easier to use. If you want to try if the program runs without
              installation, just holler and I'll send you the .exe and the accompanying .dll.

              Bye,

            • Lotta
              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 3, 2001
                Greg,

                >If you want to try if the program runs without
                >installation, just holler and I'll send you the .exe and the accompanying
                >.dll.

                I was referring to HTMLib. It got a little mixed up.

                /L.
                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 3, 2001
                  Hi Lotta and Greg,

                  Perhaps you all can send the references you use with links and
                  say a short paragraph about it. I will then compile them and
                  make a post with them all together. We can then just refer
                  somebody to the eGroups post and/or I will put it at my site in
                  HTML and have Eric link to it. I'm sure I have all the ones you
                  posted, but...

                  >LOL. I didn't see that! I must have looked at the more reasonable
                  >size of the update. But it's true the installed program is 217kB.
                  >The only thing wrong with it is that it's slow. Maybe because my
                  >copy is lacking some 2500kb? :-D

                  For an older reference that is much faster not lacking much from
                  version 4 of HTMLib and to me easier to navigate - I like the
                  format better myself then try:

                  Version 3
                  http://www.hooked.net/~tails/htmlib/

                  There is a link to BK Color Coder on my NoteTab Enhancement page
                  which you can try out to replace the one that comes with HTMLib
                  or MS for it. You can load a Netscape safe color palette in if
                  you want and it also has a one of those color droppers to pick up
                  a color off your screen somewhere (with viewer for color mouse it
                  over). It has been so long since I looked the stuff I forgot,
                  but details are at:

                  http://www.notetab.net/html/addons.htm

                  Just checked version 3 for you:

                  Option 1
                  http://www.igateway.net/tucows/files/htmlib9530.zip
                  Full Package - Everything + All Required VB Files.
                  2,777,239 Bytes

                  Option 2
                  http://www.wenet.net/~tails/htmlib/htmlib9530lite.zip
                  Lite Package - Everything Without the Required VB Files.
                  469,954 Bytes

                  Option 3
                  http://www.igateway.net/tucows/files/htmlib30.zip
                  Windows 3.x package.
                  364.738 Bytes

                  !! Note: !! - If you already have Visual Basic 4.x installed, you
                  may want to download only the Light package (Option 2). If you do
                  not have Visual Basic 4.x installed, you should choose the full
                  package (Option 1). Finally, if you are running Windows 3.x,
                  download Option 3.

                  I do not think you need IE installed for version 3 to work. It
                  does not use the .chm format like version 4.

                  >> He's the author of the reference I like. The same thing in
                  >> WinHELP appears to be available completely free from
                  >> http://www.htmlhelp.com/distribution/ 222k.

                  >Oh yes, exactly the same contents. But I find that the .chm
                  >format is easier to use. If you want to try if the program runs
                  >without installation, just holler and I'll send you the .exe and
                  >the accompanying .dll.

                  Has he ever released that version without the program or whatever
                  it is you have? OH, maybe that is what you are saying - yes, add
                  me to your list. :)

                  http://www.notetab.net

                  The NoteTab and Html List...
                  mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
                • Greg Chapman
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 5, 2001
                    Hi Lotta,

                    > >If you want to try if the program runs without
                    > >installation, just holler and I'll send you the .exe and the accompanying
                    > >.dll.
                    >
                    > I was referring to HTMLib. It got a little mixed up.

                    Now I am confused. I thought that's what we were talking about all along.

                    Greg
                  • Greg Chapman
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 5, 2001
                      Hi Jody,

                      > Perhaps you all can send the references you use with links and
                      > say a short paragraph about it. I will then compile them and
                      > make a post with them all together.

                      At http://www.htmlhelp.com/distribution/ you'll find a set of download links for
                      the Web Design Group's HTML3.2, HTML4.0 and CSS1 guides (typical file size
                      250kB) which I have found very readable and easy to use.

                      These are available for a variety of platforms and in a number of formats and
                      there are several mirrors in the US and Europe for most of these. (The formats
                      include: Windows 95/98/NT4 Help, Zipped HTML and Windows 3.x Help depending on
                      the document. For those using other platforms OS/2 INF, Tar'd, gzip'd HTML,
                      Macintosh DOCMaker, PDF, AppleWorks macros for Apple II and Stuffed HTML are
                      also available for certain documents.)

                      The guides provide indexes by alphabet and function to all relevant HTML and CSS
                      tags/selectors and provide, not only correct syntax, but also guidance on their
                      use, particularly pointing out alternatives to the deprecated features of
                      HTML4.0.

                      The only possible disadvantages of these guides is that they appear no longer to
                      be being developed, the last update to the site being dated 1999 and they
                      approach the whole issue of writing HTML/Stylesheets from the perspectives of
                      the W3C standards rather than current browsers.

                      On the subject of browser implementations I found these URLs helpful:

                      Frame Quirks on Navigator (12/6/99)
                      http://www.builder.com/Authoring/Tagmania/120699/index.html
                      which explains the appalling mess you get into if you rely on pixel defined
                      frame sizes. (There are a number of other links from here which look as if they
                      are worth investigation!)

                      STYLE SHEETS KNOWN ISSUES
                      http://developer.netscape.com/support/bugs/known/css.html
                      Netscape's own admission on what is wrong with their browser.

                      Chart of CSS1 implementation problems in Browsers
                      http://webreview.com/guides/style/notes.html

                      Greg
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 5, 2001
                        Hi Greg,

                        >> Perhaps you all can send the references you use with links and
                        >> say a short paragraph about it. I will then compile them and
                        >> make a post with them all together.
                        >
                        >At http://www.htmlhelp.com/distribution/ you'll find

                        Thanks guy, I'll file it in my ntb-HTML mailbox and see if we get
                        some more takers. :) I did finally get the html version of the 4.0. :)

                        http://www.notetab.net

                        The NoteTab and Html List...
                        mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
                      • Greg Chapman
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 5, 2001
                          Hi Lotta,

                          > If you want to try if the program runs without
                          > installation, just holler and I'll send you the .exe and the
                          > accompanying .dll.

                          I forgot to say "Yes, please" to that, but aren't I picking up that it needs the
                          VBasic runtime (which I don't have installed) to work and isn't that what makes
                          up the additional megabytes? If so I won't bother.

                          Greg
                        • Grant
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jan 5, 2001
                            Here's a clip you might be interested in.
                            Usingfull for checking for wellformedness in xml,
                            You can parse xhtml and as xml if wellformed, so handy for xhtml docs also.
                            Basically if the doc is parsed without errors it can be parsed as xml.
                            The errors generate the reason for the parse failure, line number, text etc
                            which is usefull for debugging(um I don't think you 'debug' xml), then takes
                            you directly to the text in question in the doc.
                            I tried it with a few typo's like <el attrib=" >(missed comma) and seemed to
                            do a better job than 'tidy' in finding this error plus it takes you directly
                            to the parse error in the doc . If you find it usefull place it on your
                            clipbar.

                            h=xhtmlLoader
                            ^!Set %file%="^$GetScriptPath$xhtmlLoader.js"
                            ^!Set %arg%="^$GetDocName$"
                            ^!TextToFile "^%file%" ^$GetClipText(xhtmlDOM)$
                            ;get rid of logo
                            ^!Set %hostOptions%=^$StrFill(/;2)$nologo
                            ;escape file
                            ^!set %arg%=^$StrReplace(\;\\;^%arg%;True;False)$
                            ^!setArray %CscriptOut%=^$GetOutput(Cscript "^%file%" "^%hostOptions%"
                            "^%arg%")$
                            ^!IFTrue ^$IsEmpty("^%CscriptOut%")$ ^!info "Parsed as wellformed xml"
                            ^!IFTrue ^$IsEmpty("^%CscriptOut%")$ Exit
                            ^!set %msg%=^%NL%
                            ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%CscriptOut1%
                            ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%NL%
                            ^!set %msg%=^%msg%Parse error
                            ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%CscriptOut2%
                            ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%NL%
                            ^!set %msg%=^%msg%occurred on line
                            ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%TAB%
                            ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%CscriptOut3%
                            ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%NL%
                            ^!set %msg%=^%msg%character position within the line
                            ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%TAB%
                            ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%CscriptOut4%
                            ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%NL%^%NL%
                            ^!set %msg%=^%msg%Text of the line containing the error
                            ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%NL%
                            ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%CscriptOut5%
                            ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%NL%^%NL%^%NL%
                            ^!set %msg%=^%msg%REASON FOR THE ERROR
                            ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%NL%^%NL%
                            ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%CscriptOut6%
                            ^!set %msg%=^%msg%^%NL%^%NL%^%NL%
                            ^!info ^%msg%
                            ^!Find "^%CscriptOut5" CIWS

                            H=_xhtmlDOM
                            //load xml
                            var doc = new ActiveXObject("microsoft.xmldom");
                            doc.validateOnParse = false;
                            var ok = true
                            doc.onreadystatechange = CheckState;
                            doc.resolveExternals = false;