[NH] Re: Opening ASP Files

    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 15, 1999
      Hi Michael,

      > ASP requires the presence of a server which supports ASP to
      > process the script. Browsers cannot do this on their own. ASP
      > is server-side scripting, hence the name Active Server.
      >
      > Unless I'm missing something here . . . <?>

      Thanks for the reply. I'll have to get more info from the fella,
      but according to him it is possible to get it to disply as if it
      were looking at it on the server. There was some setup involved
      on the local machine. He needed NoteTab to put in the path to
      the file on the local machine but in html format like I did:

      "...if you launch as physical path like e:\vdata\aspfile.asp, it'll
      just launch the browser and list the ascii text of aspfile.asp in
      the browser only. If you launch the virtual directory like
      http://vdata/aspfile.asp in which virtual directory vdata =
      e:\vdata, then the asp file will be executed. All you have to do
      is to provide a place for user to cross reference their virtual
      directory with the physical path. That'll be perfect. Asp is
      harder to support but again that'll make you stand out of the
      crowd."

      I think that is what I did. Still waiting to hear back from him.
      I thought maybe this would be useful to some of you and the main
      reason I posted over here about it. He does this manually now,
      but I do not know the exact setup.

      Happy HTMLin'!
      Jody

      The NoteTab and Html List...
      mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
    • Lawrence M Hamilton, Jr.
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 15, 1999
        On Sun, 15 Aug 1999 11:04:58 -0400 "Michael Gerholdt"
        <gerholdt@...> writes:
        > My full expectation is that this will indeed not work; at best,
        > perhaps
        > the asp file might be displayed as text.
        >
        > ASP requires the presence of a server which supports ASP to process
        > the
        > script. Browsers cannot do this on their own. ASP is server-side
        > scripting, hence the name Active Server.
        >
        > Unless I'm missing something here . . . <?>

        I have not gotten into ASP yet, but would the MS Personal Web Server
        (comes with MS-Frontpage, and can also be downloaded for free) or
        something similar allow at least testing of the ASP stuff before posting
        it?

        Larry Hamilton, Jr. lmhamilton@...
        http://www.HamiltonGenSociety.org/
        My Web Site: http://members.tripod.com/notlimaH/

      • Tom Thomas
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 15, 1999

          >I have not gotten into ASP yet, but would the MS Personal Web Server
          >(comes with MS-Frontpage, and can also be downloaded for free) or
          >something similar allow at least testing of the ASP stuff before posting
          >it?

          Larry,

          Yes, asp works with the personal web server. So does Cold Fusion Express (a
          free program from Allaire). CF works similar to asp but much easier to
          comprehend, at least for me any way. I use Notetab to make up all my asp
          and CF pages and test them out on my machine here first, then upload them
          to the website via FTP.

          Tom Thomas
          Brite-Way Publishing
          Stationary, envelopes, business cards. Order online at:
          http://www.window-cleaning-center.com/bwpub
        • Michael Gerholdt
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 15, 1999
            PWS is probably the needed 'set up' that Jody referenced in his
            response.

            I do have PWS up and running on my computer precisely for testing ASP
            files before uploading to the NT/IIS server.

            127.0.0.1 is any.computer's "self." The virtual root directory for the
            web server is (on my computer, and this is roughly the default PWS setup
            depending on drive. And the virtual dir is configurable in PWS,
            too) ---- the virtual dir, as I was saying, is f:\inetpub\wwwroot\

            I have Note Tab set to open always in this dir, and then I have a number
            of web projects in various dirs which are only a folder-click away. For
            example, fsa\index.asp

            To have my Personal Web Server serve up such a page, however, I put this
            into the location field in my browser:

            127.0.0.1/fsa/

            and f:\inetpub\wwwroot\fsa\index.asp is displayed. PWS serves it as a
            regular web server; the browser doesn't find the file, it finds the
            server and tells it which doc it is looking for, and the server finds
            and serves it.

            Jody, if you can just have a program launcher with a ^? for entering the
            asp file, and append that to 127.0.0.1/ to end up with
            127.0.0.1/fsa/bookstore.asp or the like, that should be all it takes -
            provided PWS is active on the computer.

            I hope this is of some help. If I can assist in doing some testing, let
            me know!

            Since I work as much in asp as I do in html, it sounds like what you are
            doing would be helpful for me indeed. Although once the browser has the
            file loaded via PWS it is quite easy to ALT-Tab and then Ctrl-R to
            switch and refresh ... second nature by now.

            PWS also ships free now with Win 98, and you DON'T have to have anything
            to do with Frontpage or Frontpage extensions to install and use PWS.

            There are a few ASP features that PWS can't handle; it's a lightweight
            version of IIS.

            > I have not gotten into ASP yet, but would the MS Personal Web Server
            > (comes with MS-Frontpage, and can also be downloaded for free) or
            > something similar allow at least testing of the ASP stuff before
            posting
            > it?
          • Glenn Dixon
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 15, 1999
              Yes it would. As a matter of fact I think PWS comes with most copies of IE
              5.0 but you have to manually go in and start it up. Or maybe it's part of
              Win 98.....I forget.

              Full instructions are on Microsoft's web site...

              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 15, 1999
                Hi Tom,

                > I use Notetab to make up all my asp and CF pages and test them
                > out on my machine here first, then upload them to the website
                > via FTP.

                So, will the Clip I sent work for you?

                Happy HTMLin'!
                Jody

                The NoteTab and Html List...
                mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 15, 1999
                  Hi Michael,

                  > PWS is probably the needed 'set up' that Jody referenced in his
                  > response.
                  >
                  > I do have PWS up and running on my computer precisely for
                  > testing ASP files before uploading to the NT/IIS server.

                  Thanks for the info. I will wait to hear from the guy. Perhaps
                  it is the software he uses that requires the drive path in the
                  http:// format I was speaking of. All I really know is that is
                  the format he needed it in and he needed it in the
                  location/address window (or at least that is the way I understood
                  him to open a file on his drive as if it were on the web. He
                  said he normally just pastes it in manually. Anyway, its best I
                  wait on him. I thought maybe ysome of you could use the Clip,
                  but maybe not. :)

                  Happy HTMLin'!
                  Jody

                  The NoteTab and Html List...
                  mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
                • Michael Gerholdt
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 16, 1999
                    Kay asked:

                    > Isn't an asp file VB Script for IE?

                    No, not really.

                    ASP does essentially what perl and cgi can do - perform a number of dynamic
                    tasks server-side that makes a web page much more powerful or interactive
                    than a simple html document.

                    ASP can be embedded in any html file, and then the extension is .asp - so
                    there may be very little difference between an .asp and an .html file. But -
                    a file with .asp is processed by the server to see what server-side script
                    needs to be performed before the page is delivered to the browser.

                    The difference between ASP and perl/cgi is that ASP is supported by the web
                    server itself (in the case of NT/IIS) and so there is not a need to call
                    another program which runs in a different process. It is potentially faster
                    and involves fewer security issues (except those always present with
                    NT/IIS). :) (let's not get into that ....)

                    VBScript is a natural tool to use with ASP but one may also use JavaScript
                    or PerlScript and perhaps others. Please understand here that the difference
                    between using JavaScript here is that it is being performed server-side
                    rather than at the browser.

                    You may also combine ASP server-side script and client-side javascript on
                    the same page. But ASP isn't client-dependent, so you can run and serve an
                    ASP page to any browser, whereas client-side JavaScript may not work totally
                    or at all depending on whether the browser supports it or the user has it
                    enabled, etc.

                    But - ASP is clearly not directed at IE or at any browser at all. It is
                    directed at the server, which after running the script serves up a page and
                    delivers it to the client. In fact, you can use ASP to create a page
                    entirely - tell it what html to write, and it will create a page on the fly.

                    For an example of a page that uses ASP to query a database and pull some
                    data from it and then create a page based on what records result from the
                    query, see how http://www.fredonia.edu/fsa/opening.htm works. It's an htm
                    file that has a form in it; you use radio buttons in this case to set the
                    query; and then an asp file is called which is processed as described above.

                    Jody, could you repost the clip? I read it at home and now want to test it
                    at work . . .

                    Regards,
                    Michael Gerholdt
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 16, 1999
                      Hi Michael

                      > Jody, could you repost the clip? I read it at home and now want to test it
                      > at work . . .

                      Your own paths will have to be added.

                      H=ASP File n' Browser
                      ; 08-16-1999, Ntb-html@..., Jody
                      ; long line follows...
                      ^!Set %Path%=^?[(T=O;S=M;F="asp files (*.asp)|*.asp")Path to local drive asp file=G:\Sites\MySites\notetab\html\index.html]
                      ^!Set %EditPath%=^$StrReplace("\";"/";"^%Path%";False;False)$
                      ^!Set %Virtual%=^$StrDelete("^%EditPath%";1;2)$
                      ^!SetClipboard http:/^%Virtual%
                      ^!Set %Browser%=^?[Browser==Internet Explorer|Netscape|Opera]

                      ^!IfSame "^%Browser%" "Internet Explorer" EXPLORER
                      ^!IfSame "^%Browser%" "Netscape" NETSCAPE
                      ^!IfSame "^%Browser%" "Opera" OPERA

                      :EXPLORER

                      ; Checks to see if app is open, opens if not, else goes to focus label.
                      ^!IfAppOpen *Microsoft Internet Explorer FocusIE
                      ^!"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

                      ; Loops till app is in focus.
                      ^!FocusApp *Microsoft Internet Explorer
                      ^!Delay 1
                      ^!IfAppOpen *Microsoft Internet Explorer Next Else Skip_-2

                      :FocusIE
                      ; Tells NoteTab to focus the app. All chracters before "*" are wild.
                      ^!FocusApp *Microsoft Internet Explorer

                      ; The delay, &20, is there to allow time for the keyboard
                      ; command to give you focus on the address field. It may
                      ; not be needed on fast machines, but might have to be
                      ; lengthened on slower ones. I left the Enter out at the
                      ; end of the Keyboard line till you know if it works.
                      ^!Keyboard Alt+D &20 Ctrl+V
                      ^!Goto End

                      :NETSCAPE

                      ^!IfAppOpen Netscape FocusNet
                      ^!"C:\Program Files\Netscape\Communicator\Program\netscape.exe"

                      :LoopNet
                      ^!SetHintInfo It's ^$GetDate(ddd)$ the ^$GetDate(dd)$, ^$GetDate(hh:nn:ss)$
                      ^!FocusApp Netscape
                      ^!Delay 1
                      ^!IfAppOpen Netscape Next Else LoopNet

                      :FocusNet
                      ^!FocusApp Netscape
                      ^!Keyboard Shift+Tab &100 Ctrl+V
                      ^!Goto End

                      :OPERA

                      ; Might be a problem with Opera and all the popup windows
                      ; that come up on initial startup. It could certainly be
                      ; written to accommodate them. I did not check into
                      ; turning them all off and will not order to turn off the
                      ; nag screen. :) It works fine for me if it is open and
                      ; the screen for the location/address is in focus.
                      ^!IfAppOpen Opera* FocusOp
                      ^!"C:\Program Files\Opera\Opera.exe"

                      :LoopOp
                      ^!FocusApp Opera*
                      ^!Delay 1
                      ^!IfAppOpen Opera* Next Else Skip_-2

                      :FocusOp
                      ^!FocusApp Opera*
                      ^!Keyboard F8 &20 Ctrl+V

                      Happy HTMLin'!
                      Jody

                      The NoteTab and Html List...
                      mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
                    • Michael Gerholdt
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 16, 1999
                        Jody,

                        I'm playing with this ...
                        limited success. Here's what we want to happen:

                        1) In netscape, to see http://127.0.0.1/foo/foobar.asp in the location bar
                        2) for an ENTER key to be pushed after this happens.

                        What is happening: Netscape is loading just fine, but it adds some
                        characters or something so that this clip line:

                        ^!Set %Path%=http://127.0.0.1/^?[(T=O;S=M;F="asp files (*.asp)|*.asp")Path
                        to local drive asp file=[file]]

                        displays this:

                        http:/tp://127.0.0.1/

                        if we could get rid of the /tp: that gets stuck in there so it was a normal
                        URL, and then execute the ENTER key, we'd be in business.

                        BY THE WAY, you needn't specify ASP files only in this clip. Personal Web
                        Server also serves up html files as well; only difference is that if the
                        file ends in .asp, it will check for and process the script first; if it
                        ends in htm or html, it just serves it as is. When working with a number of
                        files on a web site, some will be asp and some will be htm, but it makes
                        more sense when looking at the pages as an application en toto that you'd
                        view them via the server rather than through the browser directly from
                        NoteTab (hope that makes sense).

                        In other words, it is just that there is no need to make reference to asp
                        files within the clip.

> [...]
                        > ; that come up on initial startup. It could certainly be
                        > ; written to accommodate them. I did not check into
                        > ; turning them all off and will not order to turn off the
                        > ; nag screen. :) It works fine for me if it is open and
                        > ; the screen for the location/address is in focus.
                        > ^!IfAppOpen Opera* FocusOp
                        > ^!"C:\Program Files\Opera\Opera.exe"
                        >
                        > :LoopOp
                        > ^!FocusApp Opera*
                        > ^!Delay 1
                        > ^!IfAppOpen Opera* Next Else Skip_-2
                        >
                        > :FocusOp
                        > ^!FocusApp Opera*
                        > ^!Keyboard F8 &20 Ctrl+V
                        >
                        > Happy HTMLin'!
                        > Jody
                        >
                        > The NoteTab and Html List...
                        > mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...

                        > Register.com - Register a unique domain name at register.com.
                        > Choose from 15 options including .com, .net and .fm!

                      • Michael Gerholdt
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 16, 1999
                          Jody,

                          OK, now this works:

                          ^!Set %Path%= /127.0.0.1/^?[file]

                          note that I have to add two spaces and one of the slashes. If I don't add
                          any info for the 'file' part of the prompt, this produces http://127.0.0.1/
                          and that will load the home page for the web server; if I add other
                          dir/filenames it will go sub that to find them

                          How come on the two spaces and a slash, do you know?

                          Now I will add back in the arcane stuff -- =^?[(T=O;S=M;F="asp files
                          (*.asp)|*.asp") and see what imact it has, but it works fine as above. I
                          even figured out where to add "ENTER."

                          What does the TequalsO and SequalsM and all that do, anyhoo?

                          thanks,
                          Mike
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 16, 1999
                            Hi Michael,

                            > 1) In netscape, to see http://127.0.0.1/foo/foobar.asp in the location bar

                            If that is what you need, then the SetClipboard line needs to be:

                            ^!SetClipboard http://127.0.0.1^%Virtual%

                            > What is happening: Netscape is loading just fine, but it adds some
                            > characters or something so that this clip line:

                            You did not check for hard line breaks added in the mail underneath
                            where it said "; long line..." :)

                            This is one line:
                            ^!Set %Path%=^?[(T=O;F="HTML Files|*.*htm*;*.asp;*.css")Local path to html type file=]

                            Melikes to not show everything in the folder (although all I have is html
                            in the one I'm testing). <g>

                            c ya,
                            Jody

                            The whole world doth err save you
                            and me and even thou doest err some!

                            http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
                            http://www.sureword.com/mm
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 16, 1999
                              Hi Michael,

                              > ^!Set %Path%= /127.0.0.1/^?[file]
                              >
                              > note that I have to add two spaces and one of the slashes. If I
                              > don't add any info for the 'file' part of the prompt, this
                              > produces http://127.0.0.1/and that will load the home page for
                              > the web server; if I add other dir/filenames it will go sub
                              > that to find them

                              I thought the DNS would take you there, but I am completely lost
                              on ASP files and what you need in the location field. I can put
                              what you need in there once I know what you need. :)

                              > How come on the two spaces and a slash, do you know?

                              Huh?

                              > I even figured out where to add "ENTER."

                              Good for you. <g>

                              > What does the TequalsO and SequalsM and all that do, anyhoo?

                              In short, T=O says to Open and S=M says to look for multiple file
                              types. In our Clip all file types other than the html specified
                              are filtered out of the Open dialog or would I say the html types
                              are filtered in. :)

                              In other words, you only see the file types list in the prompt so
                              you do not get all the other types making it harder to find what
                              you really want. There is also the "All Files *.*" at the botton
                              of the pull down should you want to display all of them.

                              From help:

                              Open file field:
                              ^?[(T=O;F="Text Files (*.txt;*.ini)|*.txt;*.ini")Prompt]

                              Open multiple files field:
                              ^?[(T=O;S=M;F="Text Files (*.txt;*.ini)|*.txt;*.ini")Prompt]

                              Save file field:
                              ^?[(T=S;F="Text Files (*.txt;*.ini)|*.txt;*.ini")Prompt]

                              HTML-tag field:
                              ^?[(T=T;C=L/U;F="HTML Files|*.*htm*;*.asp;*.css")Prompt]
                              or
                              ^?[(T=T;F="Image Files|*.gif;*.jpg;*.jpeg")Prompt]

                              Field to show in specific position:
                              ^?[(nn)Prompt]

                              Settings:

                              Settings are always defined in parenthesis after the opening
                              square bracket. The following settings are available:

                              nn Defines custom order in which fields must be displayed in the
                              Wizard; this option setting must always be the first.
                              H Height of field in number of lines; only used by memo and
                              listbox fields.
                              M mask placed between quotes (see [Clip Language - Masked Input
                              Fields] for a list of mask characters ).
                              F File filter; only used by the Open/Save file and HTML-tag
                              fields.
                              C L or U tag is set in Lowercase or Uppercase; only used by HTML-
                              tag fields.

                              Happy HTMLin'!
                              Jody

                              The NoteTab and Html List...
                              mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
                            • Michael Gerholdt
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 16, 1999
                                Jody:

                                This works for me:

                                ^!Set %Path%= /127.0.0.1/^?[file]
                                ^!Set %EditPath%=^$StrReplace("\";"/";"^%Path%";False;False)$
                                ^!Set %Virtual%=^$StrDelete("^%EditPath%";1;2)$
                                ^!SetClipboard http:/^%Virtual%
                                ^!Set %Browser%=^?[Browser==Internet Explorer|Netscape|Opera]

                                ^!IfSame "^%Browser%" "Internet Explorer" EXPLORER
                                ^!IfSame "^%Browser%" "Netscape" NETSCAPE
                                ^!IfSame "^%Browser%" "Opera" OPERA

                                and et cetera.

                                It does not allow browsing to grab the file to be served/viewed.

                                I don't understand all the clip jargon, but there needs to be a distinction
                                made between where NoteTab clip can browse for the file name (that physical
                                path) and the virtual path. I've tried to explain it but perhaps not well.

                                The actual path may be c:/inetpub/wwwroot/fsa/book.asp

                                What the clipneeds to throw in the location bar then is
                                http://127.0.0.1/fsa/book.asp

                                because it sees c:/inetpub/wwwroot/ as the starting point

                                so we have to deal with Notetab finding and grabbing the path/filename.ext
                                SUB to wwwroot, and append that to http://127.0.0.1/

                                need to find physical with the clip, then strip the physical path to the
                                virtual root dir that PWS uses, then append the remainder.

                                maybe this is a place to use one of those permanent variables that would
                                store the path to the virtual root, and thereby know what to strip from the
                                path when you go browse for a file.

                                am I confusing things or making them less clear, which? :)

                                The T=O and that can be added back later, but not until this distinction
                                between physical and virtual paths is built into the clip.

                                For now I am just typing in any filename for a file in wwwroot, or the
                                dir/filename for any dir/file sub wwwroot

                                Mike
                              • Tom Thomas
                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 16, 1999
                                  At 09:06 PM 8/15/99 -0500, you wrote:
                                  >Hi Tom,
                                  >
                                  >> I use Notetab to make up all my asp and CF pages and test them
                                  >> out on my machine here first, then upload them to the website
                                  >> via FTP.
                                  >
                                  >So, will the Clip I sent work for you?
                                  >
                                  >Happy HTMLin'!

                                  Jody

                                  Actually I don't use clips all that much. What I like about Notetab is it's
                                  ability to have several files open at the same time and switch between any
                                  of them. This afternoon I made 25 web pages. Once I have a template
                                  developed it's just a matter of copy/paste. With asp and cf you can make
                                  include files, files that are common to each page.

                                  For instance: <!-- #include file="header.asp" -->

                                  The header file has 53 lines of code. If I ever want to change how my
                                  headers look, all I have to do change the header file and every page is
                                  automatically updated. Same thing with a footer file.

                                  The body of the page is mostly inserting <P> in front of each paragraph.
                                  Again I find that copy/paste using ctrl-V and the arrow down key is a whole
                                  lot faster.

                                  Thinking back on what I did this afternoon there is one clip that I did use
                                  quite a bit. That was one where insert a web address and the HREF and stuff
                                  is done out.

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 16, 1999
                                    Hi Michael,

                                    > What the clipneeds to throw in the location bar then is
                                    > http://127.0.0.1/fsa/book.asp

                                    I think this is what you are looking for, but for the life of me
                                    cannot figure out why the url is getting pasted into the open
                                    document when it should just be setting the clipboard. Once
                                    variable %Virtual% is set I can click on a clip with only
                                    ^!SetClipboard http://127.0.0.1^%Virtual% in it and it is pasted
                                    into the doc. Strange. Is that happening on your machine?

                                    H=Another ASP Thingie
                                    ; 08-16-1999, Ntb-html@..., Jody
                                    ^!Set %OnLine%=^?[Where do you want to go today? haha==_Online^=1|NoWhere^=]
                                    ^!Set %Path%=^?[(T=O;F="HTML Files|*.*htm*;*.asp;*.css")Path to local drive asp file]
                                    ^!Set %Browser%=^?[Browser==Internet Explorer|_Netscape|Opera]

                                    ^!Set %EditPath%=^$StrReplace("\";"/";"^%Path%";False;False)$
                                    ^!Set %Virtual%=^$StrDelete("^%EditPath%";1;2)$

                                    ^!IfTrue ^%OnLine% Skip_2
                                    ^!SetClipboard http:/^%Virtual%
                                    ^!Goto Skip
                                    ^!SetClipboard http://127.0.0.1^%Virtual%

                                    ^!IfSame "^%Browser%" "Internet Explorer" EXPLORER
                                    ^!IfSame "^%Browser%" "Netscape" NETSCAPE
                                    ^!IfSame "^%Browser%" "Opera" OPERA

                                    :EXPLORER

                                    ; Checks to see if app is open, opens if not, else goes to focus label.
                                    ^!IfAppOpen *Microsoft Internet Explorer FocusIE
                                    ^!"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

                                    ; Loops till app is in focus.
                                    ^!FocusApp *Microsoft Internet Explorer
                                    ^!Delay 1
                                    ^!IfAppOpen *Microsoft Internet Explorer Next Else Skip_-2

                                    :FocusIE
                                    ; Tells NoteTab to focus the app. All characters before "*" are wild.
                                    ^!FocusApp *Microsoft Internet Explorer

                                    ; The delay, &100, is there to allow time for the keyboard
                                    ; command to give you focus on the address field. It may
                                    ; not be needed on fast machines, but might have to be
                                    ; lengthened on slower ones. I left the Enter out at the
                                    ; end of the Keyboard line till you know if it works.
                                    ^!Keyboard Alt+D &100 Ctrl+V
                                    ^!Goto End

                                    :NETSCAPE

                                    ^!IfAppOpen Netscape FocusNet
                                    ^!"C:\Program Files\Netscape\Communicator\Program\netscape.exe"

                                    :LoopNet
                                    ^!SetHintInfo It's ^$GetDate(ddd)$ the ^$GetDate(dd)$, ^$GetDate(hh:nn:ss)$
                                    ^!FocusApp Netscape
                                    ^!Delay 1
                                    ^!IfAppOpen Netscape Next Else LoopNet

                                    :FocusNet