Re: [NH] Re: Links for Perl Tutorials ....

  • Bill Scott
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 8, 2000
      Hi Piotr:

      So far I have found that perl is easier to learn than Javascript
      ... but I thought javascript was meant to be a slim version of
      Java ... and is for forms ... no Polish jokes .... *||:^)
      but tempted ... my wife is Portuguese and we went to dinner one
      night and the guy was telling portageeee jokes all night and we
      were laughing but to tease him I acted like I was insulted and
      told him ... my wife is Portuguese .... he stuttered and return oh
      ... I meant pollack .... ha ha ....

      Bill
    • John-Marc
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 8, 2000
        Bill, what everyone is trying to say is that perl runs on the server. It dishes out the html to the browser. If it reads data, it will be data on the server. Javascript runs on the browser. You can use perl to send javascript along with html to the client. When the browser gets it, it renders the html (and JS) and the javascript interacts with the users clicks. It then acts on the data on the client (your browser) NOT the server. So, if perl sends server data, and javascript acts on the data that was sent. Javascript does not go back to the server to get data.
        ie: Server gets name and address of someone, and makes a form that shows up on your browser. You change the name and or address and click submit, the data goes back to the server. Javascript can read the data and warn you it is bogus, or change it, but again, it doesn't get to the server unless the form is submitted just as if you do it by hand. Make any more sense?

        So far I have found that perl is easier to learn than Javascript
        ... but I thought javascript was meant to be a slim version of
        Java ... and is for forms ... no Polish jokes .... *||:^)
        but tempted ... my wife is Portuguese and we went to dinner one
        night and the guy was telling portageeee jokes all night and we
        were laughing but to tease him I acted like I was insulted and
        told him ... my wife is Portuguese .... he stuttered and return oh
        ... I meant pollack .... ha ha ....

        Bill

        eGroups Sponsor

      • Grant
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 9, 2000
          For anyone interested in JavaScript, the DOM etc .... You gotta get this.
          Hot of the pdf press, made for your printer , Danny Goodmans javaScript and
          browser Objects Quick reference (preview edition)

          ftp://ftp.dannyg.com/JSB4quickref.zip
        • Piotr Bienkowski
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 10, 2000
            Hi

            > For anyone interested in JavaScript, the DOM etc .... You gotta get
            > this. Hot of the pdf press, made for your printer , Danny Goodmans
            > javaScript and browser Objects Quick reference (preview edition)
            >
            > ftp://ftp.dannyg.com/JSB4quickref.zip

            I rushed to download the thing, but then I saw that it was for IE4+,
            but as I read in Simon North's book on XML, IE5 has a different DOM
            than IE4

            Anything on IE5 out there, except from W3C?

            Will appreciate.

            Piotr
          • Grant
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 11, 2000

              Hi Piotr
              It would pay to print the pdf document out to see what it does contain.

              It looks like Danny Goodman is going to update his excellent 'javascript
              bible' and this pdf file contains
              preview of a quick reference to 'javascript and Browser Objects'.
              In 12 printed pages it covers
              The core javascript langauge
              The original document object model
              The ie4+ object model
              The W3c DOM object model as implemented by ie5 and ns6

              IMHO ..This one handy free reference.

              > but as I read in Simon North's book on XML, IE5 has a different DOM
              > than IE4

              Ah this is a bit confusing

              ie4 introduced Dynamic HTML (DHTML) Object Model which is is implemented by
              Microsoft's HTML parsing and rendering engine (MSHTML).
              http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/browser/mshtml/mshtml.asp

              http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/browser/mshtml/reference/ifaces/Document2
              /document2.asp#mshtml_document2

              Ie5 introduces W3c DOM methods... The same upgraded engine (MSHTML) does the
              parsing for html documents(and this includes xhtml )
              http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/browser/mshtml/reference/ifaces/Document3
              /document3.asp#cpp_Iface_document3

              However with ie5 you can also parse XML. This involves a different parser ,
              The Microsoft XML Parser (MSXML). By instantiating this , you can apply DOM
              methods with the xml documents or document fragments.
              Since ie5 was released Ms has improved it's xml parser. This parser is now
              version 3 and has pretty much full w3c DOM compliance.
              As an aside , since xhtml documents are 'well formed' you can also parse
              these with the Microsoft XML Parser (MSXML).

              > Anything on IE5 out there, except from W3C?

              Wrox has a couple of books out.
              One on ie5 and dynamic html.(IMHO .not very good)
              One on ie5 and xml. (ok)

              You also might find interesting

              http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dom/domoverview.asp

              from a ns6 DOM point of view, an article I thought was pretty good was
              http://www.scottandrew.com/index.php?dom/index.html
            • Piotr Bienkowski
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 11, 2000
                Hi Grant

                > Hi Piotr
                > It would pay to print the pdf document out to see what it does
                > contain.

                I'm gonna do that. But all page headers I looked at read IE4+ so I
                assumed it applied to IE4

                Thanks for helpful links.

                Regards,

                Piotr Bieńkowski
              • Piotr Bienkowski
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 12, 2000
                  Hi Grant,

                  > Ms has improved it's xml parser. This parser is now version 3
                  > and has pretty much full w3c DOM compliance. As an aside , since xhtml
                  > documents are 'well formed' you can also parse these with the
                  > Microsoft XML Parser (MSXML).

                  I succeeded in invoking this parser from VBA to print portions of an
                  XML file to a Word document
                  and in VBScript in MSIE (the latter script does not even need a Dim
                  and Set statements for it to work, but for the life of me, I can't
                  invoke it from Javascript to make it work in NS6 for example. or
                  maybe NS6 has its own dll for that?

                  Any clues? Will appreciate. Here's how I did it in MSIE

                  <HTML>
                  <BODY>
                  <XML ID="mt" src="mt.xml"></XML>
                  <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="VBScript">
                  plik = mt.documentElement.childNodes(1).childNodes.Length
                  plik = plik - 1
                  For abc = 1 To plik
                  verse = mt.documentElement.childNodes(1).childNodes(abc).Text
                  document.write("<BR>")
                  document.write(verse)
                  Next
                  </SCRIPT>