Re: [NH] Re: Links for Perl Tutorials ....

  • Bill Scott
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 8, 2000
      Hi All:
      the following article by Solena Sol is very good about how the
      whole system fits together

      http://wdvl.internet.com/Authoring/Tools/Tutorial/

      makes it easier to do a flow chart for programing ....

      Bill
    • Bill Scott
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 8, 2000
        Hi Piotr:

        So far I have found that perl is easier to learn than Javascript
        ... but I thought javascript was meant to be a slim version of
        Java ... and is for forms ... no Polish jokes .... *||:^)
        but tempted ... my wife is Portuguese and we went to dinner one
        night and the guy was telling portageeee jokes all night and we
        were laughing but to tease him I acted like I was insulted and
        told him ... my wife is Portuguese .... he stuttered and return oh
        ... I meant pollack .... ha ha ....

        Bill
      • John-Marc
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 8, 2000
          Bill, what everyone is trying to say is that perl runs on the server. It dishes out the html to the browser. If it reads data, it will be data on the server. Javascript runs on the browser. You can use perl to send javascript along with html to the client. When the browser gets it, it renders the html (and JS) and the javascript interacts with the users clicks. It then acts on the data on the client (your browser) NOT the server. So, if perl sends server data, and javascript acts on the data that was sent. Javascript does not go back to the server to get data.
          ie: Server gets name and address of someone, and makes a form that shows up on your browser. You change the name and or address and click submit, the data goes back to the server. Javascript can read the data and warn you it is bogus, or change it, but again, it doesn't get to the server unless the form is submitted just as if you do it by hand. Make any more sense?

          So far I have found that perl is easier to learn than Javascript
          ... but I thought javascript was meant to be a slim version of
          Java ... and is for forms ... no Polish jokes .... *||:^)
          but tempted ... my wife is Portuguese and we went to dinner one
          night and the guy was telling portageeee jokes all night and we
          were laughing but to tease him I acted like I was insulted and
          told him ... my wife is Portuguese .... he stuttered and return oh
          ... I meant pollack .... ha ha ....

          Bill

          eGroups Sponsor

        • Grant
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 9, 2000
            For anyone interested in JavaScript, the DOM etc .... You gotta get this.
            Hot of the pdf press, made for your printer , Danny Goodmans javaScript and
            browser Objects Quick reference (preview edition)

            ftp://ftp.dannyg.com/JSB4quickref.zip
          • Piotr Bienkowski
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 10, 2000
              Hi

              > For anyone interested in JavaScript, the DOM etc .... You gotta get
              > this. Hot of the pdf press, made for your printer , Danny Goodmans
              > javaScript and browser Objects Quick reference (preview edition)
              >
              > ftp://ftp.dannyg.com/JSB4quickref.zip

              I rushed to download the thing, but then I saw that it was for IE4+,
              but as I read in Simon North's book on XML, IE5 has a different DOM
              than IE4

              Anything on IE5 out there, except from W3C?

              Will appreciate.

              Piotr
            • Grant
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 11, 2000

                Hi Piotr
                It would pay to print the pdf document out to see what it does contain.

                It looks like Danny Goodman is going to update his excellent 'javascript
                bible' and this pdf file contains
                preview of a quick reference to 'javascript and Browser Objects'.
                In 12 printed pages it covers
                The core javascript langauge
                The original document object model
                The ie4+ object model
                The W3c DOM object model as implemented by ie5 and ns6

                IMHO ..This one handy free reference.

                > but as I read in Simon North's book on XML, IE5 has a different DOM
                > than IE4

                Ah this is a bit confusing

                ie4 introduced Dynamic HTML (DHTML) Object Model which is is implemented by
                Microsoft's HTML parsing and rendering engine (MSHTML).
                http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/browser/mshtml/mshtml.asp

                http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/browser/mshtml/reference/ifaces/Document2
                /document2.asp#mshtml_document2

                Ie5 introduces W3c DOM methods... The same upgraded engine (MSHTML) does the
                parsing for html documents(and this includes xhtml )
                http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/browser/mshtml/reference/ifaces/Document3
                /document3.asp#cpp_Iface_document3

                However with ie5 you can also parse XML. This involves a different parser ,
                The Microsoft XML Parser (MSXML). By instantiating this , you can apply DOM
                methods with the xml documents or document fragments.
                Since ie5 was released Ms has improved it's xml parser. This parser is now
                version 3 and has pretty much full w3c DOM compliance.
                As an aside , since xhtml documents are 'well formed' you can also parse
                these with the Microsoft XML Parser (MSXML).

                > Anything on IE5 out there, except from W3C?

                Wrox has a couple of books out.
                One on ie5 and dynamic html.(IMHO .not very good)
                One on ie5 and xml. (ok)

                You also might find interesting

                http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dom/domoverview.asp

                from a ns6 DOM point of view, an article I thought was pretty good was
                http://www.scottandrew.com/index.php?dom/index.html
              • Piotr Bienkowski
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 11, 2000
                  Hi Grant

                  > Hi Piotr
                  > It would pay to print the pdf document out to see what it does
                  > contain.

                  I'm gonna do that. But all page headers I looked at read IE4+ so I
                  assumed it applied to IE4

                  Thanks for helpful links.

                  Regards,

                  Piotr Bieńkowski
                • Piotr Bienkowski
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 12, 2000
                    Hi Grant,

                    > Ms has improved it's xml parser. This parser is now version 3
                    > and has pretty much full w3c DOM compliance. As an aside , since xhtml
                    > documents are 'well formed' you can also parse these with the
                    > Microsoft XML Parser (MSXML).

                    I succeeded in invoking this parser from VBA to print portions of an
                    XML file to a Word document
                    and in VBScript in MSIE (the latter script does not even need a Dim
                    and Set statements for it to work, but for the life of me, I can't
                    invoke it from Javascript to make it work in NS6 for example. or
                    maybe NS6 has its own dll for that?

                    Any clues? Will appreciate. Here's how I did it in MSIE

                    <HTML>
                    <BODY>
                    <XML ID="mt" src="mt.xml"></XML>
                    <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="VBScript">
                    plik = mt.documentElement.childNodes(1).childNodes.Length
                    plik = plik - 1
                    For abc = 1 To plik
                    verse = mt.documentElement.childNodes(1).childNodes(abc).Text
                    document.write("<BR>")
                    document.write(verse)
                    Next
                    </SCRIPT>