Re: Hi From .... Bill Scott

  • Alan Cummings
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1 10:31 PM
      Hi Bill,

      > I want to start programing in the Perl language ... but I first
      > want to lay down a solid
      > foundation for program design ... I cannot find any thing online
      > to help with program design I did find one on Dr Sheme

      http://www.cs.rice.edu/CS/PLT/Teaching/Lectures/Released/Book/node5.ht

      Let's see, html and NoteTab. Hmm. Nonetheless, good coding
      techniques fits with html. And NoteTab is user friendly with Perl.
      Currently focused document, Coding techniques, Perl, and NoteTab
      might be a potential combination.

      HTH, as follows, just to share:

      ____clip contents begins below this line____
      H="Programming tutor/resource"
      ^!URL ^?[(H=18)choose one to
      launch==http://www.progsharehouse.com/index.pl|http://www.dmoz.org/Com
      puters/Education/Programming/|http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Programmin
      g/|http://www.egroups.com/group/perl-win32-users|Perl 5 by Example
      book/tutorial^=http://www.itknowledge.com/reference/archive/0789708663
      /ewtoc.html|http://www.perl.com/pub|http://here.at/perl|http://listser
      v.activestate.com/pipermail/activeperl/]
      ;----<end of clip<<

      the ^!URL is the only line, a rather long line

      (I'm not Greg) but Bill you might try urls and progsharehouse above
      has forums to also ask. Even I found that egroups has a Perl list.

      I've not had much time to even check out the above urls all that
      much. it was some results of searching and exploring one evening.
      If you decide to try them, I'd like to hear back regard the useful
      ones thereof. (I'm a recent newbie to Perl myself)

      (The language) Q Basic

      community college used to (probably still do) use that language to
      teach entry things and concepts. You might try internet search
      engine on Q Basic

      just some thoughts there. might be i wonder if you found the right
      tutorial or lesson perhaps you could just start out in small ways on
      Perl (lessons with guidelines for having good design)

      Regards. Alan.
    • Greg Chapman
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 4 1:56 AM
        Hi Bill,

        > Thank you for your help ..... since it appears that you do some
        > teaching

        My work is with the Adult Education Department of our local County Council. My
        students are mainly the unemployed, and others with some social disadvantage, or
        the senior citizens taking their first dip into the computing world. Either
        way, I only deal initial introductions and certainly not programming - unless
        you count basic HTML as programming - which I don't.

        > I want to start programing in the Perl language ... but I first
        > want to lay down a solid foundation for program design ...

        I can't help you there. Programming is so much a "fashion sport". What was
        regarded as good programming in my youth, no longer is. In the early days, the
        all powerful god was compact programming. That was when every last byte
        counted. These days with megabytes of memory, it's more a case of
        maintainability. I'm just way out of date! I haven't done any programming
        since getting a PC (unless you count writing somewhat complex DOS batch files).
        My expertise was with the Z80 processor back in the days of CP/M!

        Greg
      • Bill Scott
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 4 8:32 AM
          Thanks ... I guess there is no such thing as an apprenticeship
          programing course ... oh well

          Bill