Re: [NH] Perl Tutorial ..... font size ? not making myself clear ... ;^)... zzzz

  • Bill Scott
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2000
      I know some use JavaScript, etc. to detect the type of browser a
      user has,
      and uses a style sheet designed for each browser.

      Hi Larry:

      Yeah I knew about the JavaScript method ... I have been banging
      around the fringes of Perl programing for awhile. I was really
      trying to come up with a programing project that
      is unique ... most things have been done in perl . I really need
      a jump start on how to
      plan a programing project ... from the start .... when I ask on
      the list, I got a joke and it stopped there but ... coming from
      another discipline to this is tough, most of the trades like
      plumber or carpenter ... have an apprenticeship program ... but
      computers I cannot find
      anything that comes close ... Do you have any suggestions ... ?

      Bill
    • ceh
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2000
        Bill Scott wrote:
        > I really need
        > a jump start on how to
        > plan a programing project ... from the start .... when I ask on
        > the list, I got a joke and it stopped there but ... coming from
        > another discipline to this is tough, most of the trades like
        > plumber or carpenter ... have an apprenticeship program ... but
        > computers I cannot find
        > anything that comes close ... Do you have any suggestions ... ?

        Well, the closest thing to an apprenticeship is to find and befriend a good
        programmer and learn from them. Keep in mind however, that most REALLY good
        programmers cannot write documentation worth anything and in general have
        trouble communicating their knowledge to others. Someone who can do both is
        pretty hard to find.

        Something you might want to check out, in order to find and learn from other
        programmers, is an open-source project. If you're not familier with the
        term, it's a programming project that makes the source code publicly
        avalible and anyone is free to modify it for their own use or even work with
        the origonal authors on it. The whole Linux community is based on
        open-source, but there are plenty of projects going on for the windows
        platform as well. This will give you a chance to look at the big picture,
        what all goes into creating a program; a chance to ask questions about the
        project and learn programming both in the overall plan and in the details of
        typing in the code. (Also known as programming in the large and programming
        in the small, respectively) Then you can take what you've learned and work
        on a project of your own.

        To continue your analogy, this is kind of like someone learning architecture
        by hanging around construction sites and watching and asking questions,
        which of course, the construction workers don't always have time to answer.
        Oh, and reading architectural textbooks and blueprints at the same time and
        occationally putting together small stick buildings for practice. :-)
        Whether it's the best or not, I don't know. I do know, however, that a LOT
        of people learn programming this way.

        Good luck!

        Emmett Hawkins