Hi From .... Bill Scott

  • Bill Scott
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2000
      Hi Greg :

      Thank you for your help ..... since it appears that you do some
      teaching ... I have
      a question which I keep getting a jokesters remark every time I
      ask on a list ....
      I want to start programing in the Perl language ... but I first
      want to lay down a solid
      foundation for program design ... I cannot find any thing online
      to help with program design I did find one on Dr Sheme
      http://www.cs.rice.edu/CS/PLT/Teaching/Lectures/Released/Book/node5.htm

      but they never get to the point do you have any suggestions ... ?

      Bill Scott

      Border Collies N Stuff

      http://www.stockdogsaction.com/OTHER/index.html
    • Alan Cummings
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2000
        Hi Bill,

        > I want to start programing in the Perl language ... but I first
        > want to lay down a solid
        > foundation for program design ... I cannot find any thing online
        > to help with program design I did find one on Dr Sheme

        http://www.cs.rice.edu/CS/PLT/Teaching/Lectures/Released/Book/node5.ht

        Let's see, html and NoteTab. Hmm. Nonetheless, good coding
        techniques fits with html. And NoteTab is user friendly with Perl.
        Currently focused document, Coding techniques, Perl, and NoteTab
        might be a potential combination.

        HTH, as follows, just to share:

        ____clip contents begins below this line____
        H="Programming tutor/resource"
        ^!URL ^?[(H=18)choose one to
        launch==http://www.progsharehouse.com/index.pl|http://www.dmoz.org/Com
        puters/Education/Programming/|http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Programmin
        g/|http://www.egroups.com/group/perl-win32-users|Perl 5 by Example
        book/tutorial^=http://www.itknowledge.com/reference/archive/0789708663
        /ewtoc.html|http://www.perl.com/pub|http://here.at/perl|http://listser
        v.activestate.com/pipermail/activeperl/]
        ;----<end of clip<<

        the ^!URL is the only line, a rather long line

        (I'm not Greg) but Bill you might try urls and progsharehouse above
        has forums to also ask. Even I found that egroups has a Perl list.

        I've not had much time to even check out the above urls all that
        much. it was some results of searching and exploring one evening.
        If you decide to try them, I'd like to hear back regard the useful
        ones thereof. (I'm a recent newbie to Perl myself)

        (The language) Q Basic

        community college used to (probably still do) use that language to
        teach entry things and concepts. You might try internet search
        engine on Q Basic

        just some thoughts there. might be i wonder if you found the right
        tutorial or lesson perhaps you could just start out in small ways on
        Perl (lessons with guidelines for having good design)

        Regards. Alan.
      • Greg Chapman
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 4, 2000
          Hi Bill,

          > Thank you for your help ..... since it appears that you do some
          > teaching

          My work is with the Adult Education Department of our local County Council. My
          students are mainly the unemployed, and others with some social disadvantage, or
          the senior citizens taking their first dip into the computing world. Either
          way, I only deal initial introductions and certainly not programming - unless
          you count basic HTML as programming - which I don't.

          > I want to start programing in the Perl language ... but I first
          > want to lay down a solid foundation for program design ...

          I can't help you there. Programming is so much a "fashion sport". What was
          regarded as good programming in my youth, no longer is. In the early days, the
          all powerful god was compact programming. That was when every last byte
          counted. These days with megabytes of memory, it's more a case of
          maintainability. I'm just way out of date! I haven't done any programming
          since getting a PC (unless you count writing somewhat complex DOS batch files).
          My expertise was with the Z80 processor back in the days of CP/M!

          Greg
        • Bill Scott
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 4, 2000
            Thanks ... I guess there is no such thing as an apprenticeship
            programing course ... oh well

            Bill