RE: New CSS libraries (was RE: [NH] .css, text-align: center;)

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 1, 2000
      Hi Grant,

      I finally found the time to visit:
      http://www.markup.co.nz/xhtml/xhtmllibrary.htm

      I got a bit confused there, because at the top of the page it says:

      ==========
      The latest version of the xhtml library can be found at
      markup.co.nz/xhtml/libraries/xhtml.zip
      ==========

      but the link gives a 404! (A little investigation reveals the actual target has
      a spurious /MarkUp/ folder in the URL!)

      However, I didn't discover that until I'd used the other link you mentioned in
      your earlier post:

      http://www.markup.co.nz/colorPicker/xhtml-css.zip

      and successfully download that library.

      I ended up with two xtml-css.clb files, one of which is considerably bigger than
      the other. I haven't worked out why yet, but I guess that much of material in
      the /colorpicker/ version has been moved into the other file in the main library
      with the additional clipbars.

      I've spent about 10 minutes so far playing and turned up a couple of things I
      didn't expect.

      When I click on the "quickstart" toolbar button the DTD line is split over
      several lines with CRs which didn't "look pretty" to me, but appears acceptable
      in content.

      The next thing I noticed was that it didn't automatically give an HTM file
      extension on my file and consequentially didn't generate the normal tag
      highlighting. Perhaps you have NOTETAB set to generate an .htm extension by
      default so this problem didn't emerge?

      However, it all looks a mighty impressive piece of work which I shall examine in
      more detail as soon as I have a decent amount of time free.

      [Hint to Eric:] Take a look at this one! As it stands it looks at least 98%
      acceptable for inclusion in the standard NoteTab release!

      Greg
    • Grant
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 2, 2000
        > but the link gives a 404! (A little investigation reveals the
        > actual target has
        > a spurious /MarkUp/ folder in the URL!)

        Thanks corrected this

        > I've spent about 10 minutes so far playing and turned up a couple
        > of things I
        > didn't expect.
        >
        > When I click on the "quickstart" toolbar button the DTD line is split over
        > several lines with CRs which didn't "look pretty" to me, but
        > appears acceptable
        > in content.

        My understanding is that whitespace is ignored.
        besides the DTD line is usually written like this.

        I think the original xhtml library had

        <!DOCTYPE html
        PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
        "DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">

        which I copied from the Recomendation .

        However Jelks pointed out this is wrong (even though it is in the
        recomendation) and should contain the full url.

        If you are going to use your xhtml documents with an xml parser this needs
        to be corrected. The latest library includes this change. Easily done with a
        notetab global s&r.

        > The next thing I noticed was that it didn't automatically give an HTM file
        > extension on my file and consequentially didn't generate the normal tag
        > highlighting. Perhaps you have NOTETAB set to generate an .htm
        > extension by
        > default so this problem didn't emerge?

        Actually this can be done by a clip but Jody pointed out , when i did this
        once that it was bad manners to change someone elses default extension via a
        clip.
        Talk of Jody hows the work on those 16x16 bmp icons going.

        Ive updated the library a little and posted at.
        http://www.markup.co.nz/xhtml/libraries/xhtml.zip

        Apart from the css colorpicker, it now contains an 'elementCanContain'
        button.
        Place the cursor on any opening tag , press the button and it will tell you
        what valid elements can be contained.
        eg with the cursor on <ul>
        Press the canContain button >> an info box will present this information
        "
        The elements that can be contained by <ul> are
        li
        "
        or
        with the cursor on <em>. Press the canContain button >> an info box will
        present this information
        "
        The elements that can be contained by <em> are
        a br span bdo object img map tt i b big small em strong dfn
        code q sub sup samp kbd var cite abbr acronym input select
        textarea label button ins del script noscript
        "
        Any queries about the library please contact me privately.
        emerge@...
        I'm always open to improvements, suggestions , correcting errors etc so
        don't be afraid to give me feedback.
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 2, 2000
          Hi Grant,

          >> Perhaps you have NOTETAB set to generate an .htm extension by
          >> default so this problem didn't emerge?
          >
          >Actually this can be done by a clip but Jody pointed out , when i
          >did this once that it was bad manners to change someone elses
          >default extension via a clip.

          Did I say that? :) I suppose I did say something to that effect,
          but I would add if I did not say it back then that I am all for
          getting the users settings first, change them to what you need,
          and then change them back to the original at the end of the Clip.

          >Talk of Jody hows the work on those 16x16 bmp icons going.

          OffTopic:

          Uh, was I suppose to be making some? Please refresh my memory. I
          do forget about things at times. OH, you mean changing the
          location of NoteTab's icons to a sub-folder underneath Libraries?
          If so, the Clip does what it is suppose to, but the problem is,
          NoteTab cannot view them from the Button Properties... dialog.
          It is no big deal for me since I am pretty much setup, but if I
          want to test new icons, I just do it in Libraries till I get the
          ones I want, run my button cleaner to remove the ones that are
          not on the Clipbar to a backup folder, and then run the transfer
          clip to move the new icons to the Libraries sub-folder.

          http://www.notetab.net

          The NoteTab and Html List...
          mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
        • Greg Chapman
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 4, 2000
            Hi Grant,

            > >Actually this can be done by a clip but Jody pointed out , when i
            > >did this once that it was bad manners to change someone elses
            > >default extension via a clip.
            >
            > Did I say that? :) I suppose I did say something to that effect,
            > but I would add if I did not say it back then that I am all for
            > getting the users settings first, change them to what you need,
            > and then change them back to the original at the end of the Clip.

            I wasn't thinking about altering user _defaults_. It's just that Eric's "New
            Web Page" clip in the standard HTML library causes the file extension for that
            _document only_ to change to .htm, so neatly switching on the syntax
            highlighting. I just expected the same approach in your clip.

            Greg
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 4, 2000
              Hi Greg,

              >> I am all for getting the users settings first, change them to
              >> what you need, and then change them back to the original at the
              >> end of the Clip.
              >
              >I wasn't thinking about altering user _defaults_. It's just that
              >Eric's "New Web Page" clip in the standard HTML library causes
              >the file extension for that _document only_ to change to .htm, so
              >neatly switching on the syntax highlighting. I just expected the
              >same approach in your clip.

              Eric uses a template for that and the ".htm" setting is set on
              the first line of the HTML.tpl file:

              = DocTemplate ClipCode "Home%0.3d.htm"

              I normally just use a ^!Save:As myself. I have never used templates
              other than to play with them. My Clips are my templates the way I
              see it. :) I know some folk are sold on templates and they do have
              an advantage or two from what I heard (and forgot).

              http://www.notetab.net

              The NoteTab and Html List...
              mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...