[NH] Re: Frames .... how do I ...??

    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 3, 1999
      -Hi Bill,

      > http://junior.apk.net/~jbarta/tutor/frames/ this one is really
      > good webtutor .... but it did not mention the _top tag ...

      That is where I first learned that after a long frustrating
      experience with frames. I couldn't tell you exactly where it
      is though.

      Happy HTMLin'!
      Jody

      The NoteTab and Html List...
      mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
    • Bill Scott
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 3, 1999
        Actually I found the _top tag here ...

        http://www.newbie.net/sharky/frames/4/6.htm

        Happy Stockdoggin ......

        Bill *||:>)
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 3, 1999
          Hi Bill,

          > I have a frames question ... how do I get the following page to
          > call a scrolling page inside the red dots ? here is the page...
          >
          > http://www.stockdogsaction.com/OTHER/articles_index.html

          You need to put it into frames first and then do not use the
          scrolling attribute are mark it as "yes" or "auto"

          From HTMLib via NoteTab:

          <HTML>
          <!--HTMLIB.HTM-- >

          <HEAD>
          <TITLE>The HTML Reference Library</TITLE>
          </HEAD>

          <BASEFONT SIZE=3>

          <FRAMESET ROWS="85,*,65">

          <FRAME SCROLLING="no" NAME="title" NORESIZE SRC="title.htm">
          <FRAMESET COLS="40%,60%">

          <FRAME SCROLLING="yes" NAME="toc" SRC="toc.htm">
          <FRAME SCROLLING="yes" NAME="main page" SRC="main.htm">

          </FRAMESET>
          <FRAME SCROLLING="no" NAME="HLP buttons" NORESIZE SRC="buttons.htm">

          <NOFRAME>

          </NOFRAME>
          </FRAMESET>

          A line by line breakdown
          <FRAMESET ROWS="85,*,65">
          This line divides the page into three regions, the top region
          being 85 pixels in height, the bottom region being 65 pixels in
          height, the middle region occupying the rest of the Netscape
          window.

          <FRAME SCROLLING="no" NAME="title" NORESIZE SRC="title.htm">

          This line sets the top region of the window (the region that is
          85 pixels high) to be a non-scrolling, non-resizable region. Its
          name is title (so, any other link that specifies "title" with its
          TARGET attribute would be displayed in this region.)

          <FRAMESET COLS="40%,60%">

          This splits the middle region of the Netscape window into two
          sections horizontally. The left hand section being 40% of the
          window width, the right hand section being the remaining 60% of
          the window width.

          <FRAME SCROLLING="yes" NAME="toc" SRC="toc.htm">

          <FRAME SCROLLING="yes" NAME="main page" SRC="main.htm">

          These two lines (as the other FRAME line above) set the
          attributes for the two middle sections of the page. That is, it
          names the regions "toc" and "main page" respectively and links to
          the two pages to be displayed in the regions.

          </FRAMESET> This line closes the sub-frames that were opened in
          the middle section of the main framed regions.

          <FRAME SCROLLING="no" NAME="HLP buttons" NORESIZE
          SRC="buttons.htm">

          This line defines the properties of the remaining main region of
          the window - namely the bottom region, 65 pixels high. It
          defines it as a non-scrolling, non-resizable region (ideal for
          navigation tools)

          The use of the NAME attribute in setting up the page regions is
          so that each different page can have linked pages sent to it by
          name. This way, where the document called (when a link is
          activated) is displayed can be controlled by the author.

          NOTE : Here, no information has been provided between the
          <NOFRAME> … </NOFRAME> elements. This is where the author must
          put information that s/he wishes to be displayed on browsers that
          do not support the use of frames.

          From the Quick Reference in the same HTMLib ver. 3:

          SCROLLING="yes|no|auto"
          The SCROLLING attribute is used to describe if the frame should
          have a scrollbar or not. Yes results in scrollbars always being
          visible on that frame. No results in scrollbars never being
          visible. Auto instructs the browser to decide whether scrollbars
          are needed, and place them where necessary. The SCROLLING
          attribute is optional; the default value is auto.

          Happy HTMLin'!
          Jody

          The NoteTab and Html List...
          mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
        • bob@newsome.net
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 3, 1999
            <37a78761.b612b2-@...> wrote:
            original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html/?start=129
            > Actually I found the _top tag here ...
            >
            > http://www.newbie.net/sharky/frames/4/6.htm
            >
            > Happy Stockdoggin ......
            >
            > Bill *||:>)

            Actually _top is not a tag, it is a location (or object) to which a
            tags attribute points. when you want to replace the contents of a frame
            you can designate the location by using the target attribute, such as:

            It is easy to see this line of html will cause the word WELCOME to
            become a hyperlink to load the home.htm page. The target attribute will
            cause that page to be loaded into the frame designated as "main." If
            you are not working with a frameset with a defined "main" frame you
            will receive an error. The page you spoke of above listed reserved
            window objects that exist in all frame cases wether you have defined a
            frameset or not.

            As the page also indicated "target" can be used to designate an
            alternative window to recieve the content.

            I have never seen the designator _top used as you have shown in
            because "target" is not an attribute of frame or frameset.

            bob newsome
          • bob@newsome.net
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 3, 1999
              <37a60dcc.3e56647-@...> wrote:
              original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html/?start=116
              > Hi All:
              > I have a frames question ... how do I get the following page to
              > call a scrolling page inside the red dots ? here is the page ...
              >
              > http://www.stockdogsaction.com/OTHER/articles_index.html
              >
              > Bill

              I have built a strawman of what I beleive you are lookng for, take a
              look and try the left hand links at:

              http://1wh.com/newsome/stockdogs/

              Let me know if this helps you along.

              bob newsome
            • bob@newsome.net
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 4, 1999
                From my earlier posting:

                > . . .If you are not working with a frameset with a defined "main"
                > frame you will receive an error . . .

                I was in error here myself. This would just bring up a new browser
                window named "main."

                bob
              • Bill Scott
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 4, 1999
                  bob@... wrote:

                  > >From my earlier posting:
                  >
                  > > . . .If you are not working with a frameset with a defined "main"
                  > > frame you will receive an error . . .
                  >
                  > I was in error here myself. This would just bring up a new browser
                  > window named "main."
                  >
                  > bob

                  Hi Bob and Jody:

                  This is what I found ... (might not be proper but is less complicated)
                  the frame src tag i.e. <FRAME SRC="lesson0.htm" NAME="main" frameborder=1
                  border=0 TARGET="_top"> TARGET="_top" tag cause the prior frames to be
                  dropped and the new frame1.htm to be loaded ... I think that this works if
                  you are going to another site but have not fully tested it myself just know
                  that it stops the frames from following to the next hyperlink ...

                  Bill