[NH] Re: Frames .... how do I ...??

    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 3, 1999
      Hi Bill,

      > No what I want is to leave the last frame behind ... so
      >
      > http://www.stockdogsaction.com/articles/frame0.htm
      >
      > calls
      >
      > http://www.stockdogsaction.com/articles/frame1.htm

      You have the page password protected but it I understand you
      correctly you just want to open the next frame in your main
      window. If so, don't use any target.

      <A HREF="http://www.stockdogsaction.com/articles/frame1.htm">...</A>
      <A HREF="frame1.htm">...</A>

      Those will open up frame1 in the same window.

      If you are wanting to exit the frames into a new window it would be
      something like this:

      <B><LI TYPE="disc">
      <A HREF="../clickme/clickme.htm" TARGET="_top">
      Main Index
      </B></A><BR>

      Bye for now,
      Jody Adair
      Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

      http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
      http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611
      http://www.sureword.com/notetab
    • Bill Scott
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 3, 1999
        thanks I figured it out it goes in the

        <FRAME SRC="frame0.htm" NAME="side" scrolling=NO frameborder=NO border=0
        TARGET="_top">

        Well ...

        Happy Stockdoggin ......

        Bill *||:>)
      • Bill Scott
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 3, 1999
          thanks Larry ... just could not find my notes on that tag ...

          http://junior.apk.net/~jbarta/tutor/frames/ this one is really good
          webtutor .... but it did not mention the _top tag ...

          Happy Stockdoggin ......

          Bill *||:>)
        • Lawrence M Hamilton, Jr.
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 3, 1999
            A good beginner's tutorial was developed by Joe Barta, at
            http://junior.apk.net/~jbarta/.

            He also has a goor basic HTML and Table tutor. They can all be downloaded
            at once. I learned about NoteTab from his tutorials when I first got into
            HTML.

            Larry Hamilton, Jr. lmhamilton@...
            http://www.HamiltonGenSociety.org/
            My Web Site: http://members.tripod.com/notlimaH/

            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 3, 1999
              Hi Bill,

              > <FRAME SRC="frame0.htm" NAME="side" scrolling=NO frameborder=NO
              > border=0 TARGET="_top">

              That might be used, but I have never seen it. If your frame-nnn
              pages were linked to from another window like the index/content
              window which you might be calling side, usually a thinner window
              on the left then the tag would be:

              <A HREF="http://base stuff/frame-nnn.htm" TARGET="main">...</A>

              "main" being whatever you defined your main frame as in the FRAME
              SRC tag.

              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 3, 1999
                -Hi Bill,

                > http://junior.apk.net/~jbarta/tutor/frames/ this one is really
                > good webtutor .... but it did not mention the _top tag ...

                That is where I first learned that after a long frustrating
                experience with frames. I couldn't tell you exactly where it
                is though.

                Happy HTMLin'!
                Jody

                The NoteTab and Html List...
                mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
              • Bill Scott
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 3, 1999
                  Actually I found the _top tag here ...

                  http://www.newbie.net/sharky/frames/4/6.htm

                  Happy Stockdoggin ......

                  Bill *||:>)
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 3, 1999
                    Hi Bill,

                    > I have a frames question ... how do I get the following page to
                    > call a scrolling page inside the red dots ? here is the page...
                    >
                    > http://www.stockdogsaction.com/OTHER/articles_index.html

                    You need to put it into frames first and then do not use the
                    scrolling attribute are mark it as "yes" or "auto"

                    From HTMLib via NoteTab:

                    <HTML>
                    <!--HTMLIB.HTM-- >

                    <HEAD>
                    <TITLE>The HTML Reference Library</TITLE>
                    </HEAD>

                    <BASEFONT SIZE=3>

                    <FRAMESET ROWS="85,*,65">

                    <FRAME SCROLLING="no" NAME="title" NORESIZE SRC="title.htm">
                    <FRAMESET COLS="40%,60%">

                    <FRAME SCROLLING="yes" NAME="toc" SRC="toc.htm">
                    <FRAME SCROLLING="yes" NAME="main page" SRC="main.htm">

                    </FRAMESET>
                    <FRAME SCROLLING="no" NAME="HLP buttons" NORESIZE SRC="buttons.htm">

                    <NOFRAME>

                    </NOFRAME>
                    </FRAMESET>

                    A line by line breakdown
                    <FRAMESET ROWS="85,*,65">
                    This line divides the page into three regions, the top region
                    being 85 pixels in height, the bottom region being 65 pixels in
                    height, the middle region occupying the rest of the Netscape
                    window.

                    <FRAME SCROLLING="no" NAME="title" NORESIZE SRC="title.htm">

                    This line sets the top region of the window (the region that is
                    85 pixels high) to be a non-scrolling, non-resizable region. Its
                    name is title (so, any other link that specifies "title" with its
                    TARGET attribute would be displayed in this region.)

                    <FRAMESET COLS="40%,60%">

                    This splits the middle region of the Netscape window into two
                    sections horizontally. The left hand section being 40% of the
                    window width, the right hand section being the remaining 60% of
                    the window width.

                    <FRAME SCROLLING="yes" NAME="toc" SRC="toc.htm">

                    <FRAME SCROLLING="yes" NAME="main page" SRC="main.htm">

                    These two lines (as the other FRAME line above) set the
                    attributes for the two middle sections of the page. That is, it
                    names the regions "toc" and "main page" respectively and links to
                    the two pages to be displayed in the regions.

                    </FRAMESET> This line closes the sub-frames that were opened in
                    the middle section of the main framed regions.

                    <FRAME SCROLLING="no" NAME="HLP buttons" NORESIZE
                    SRC="buttons.htm">

                    This line defines the properties of the remaining main region of
                    the window - namely the bottom region, 65 pixels high. It
                    defines it as a non-scrolling, non-resizable region (ideal for
                    navigation tools)

                    The use of the NAME attribute in setting up the page regions is
                    so that each different page can have linked pages sent to it by
                    name. This way, where the document called (when a link is
                    activated) is displayed can be controlled by the author.

                    NOTE : Here, no information has been provided between the
                    <NOFRAME> … </NOFRAME> elements. This is where the author must
                    put information that s/he wishes to be displayed on browsers that
                    do not support the use of frames.

                    From the Quick Reference in the same HTMLib ver. 3:

                    SCROLLING="yes|no|auto"
                    The SCROLLING attribute is used to describe if the frame should
                    have a scrollbar or not. Yes results in scrollbars always being
                    visible on that frame. No results in scrollbars never being
                    visible. Auto instructs the browser to decide whether scrollbars
                    are needed, and place them where necessary. The SCROLLING
                    attribute is optional; the default value is auto.

                    Happy HTMLin'!
                    Jody

                    The NoteTab and Html List...
                    mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
                  • bob@newsome.net
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 3, 1999
                      <37a78761.b612b2-@...> wrote:
                      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html/?start=129
                      > Actually I found the _top tag here ...
                      >
                      > http://www.newbie.net/sharky/frames/4/6.htm
                      >
                      > Happy Stockdoggin ......
                      >
                      > Bill *||:>)

                      Actually _top is not a tag, it is a location (or object) to which a
                      tags attribute points. when you want to replace the contents of a frame
                      you can designate the location by using the target attribute, such as:

                      It is easy to see this line of html will cause the word WELCOME to
                      become a hyperlink to load the home.htm page. The target attribute will
                      cause that page to be loaded into the frame designated as "main." If
                      you are not working with a frameset with a defined "main" frame you
                      will receive an error. The page you spoke of above listed reserved
                      window objects that exist in all frame cases wether you have defined a
                      frameset or not.

                      As the page also indicated "target" can be used to designate an
                      alternative window to recieve the content.

                      I have never seen the designator _top used as you have shown in
                      because "target" is not an attribute of frame or frameset.

                      bob newsome
                    • bob@newsome.net
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 3, 1999
                        <37a60dcc.3e56647-@...> wrote:
                        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html/?start=116
                        > Hi All:
                        > I have a frames question ... how do I get the following page to
                        > call a scrolling page inside the red dots ? here is the page ...
                        >
                        > http://www.stockdogsaction.com/OTHER/articles_index.html
                        >
                        > Bill

                        I have built a strawman of what I beleive you are lookng for, take a
                        look and try the left hand links at:

                        http://1wh.com/newsome/stockdogs/

                        Let me know if this helps you along.

                        bob newsome
                      • bob@newsome.net
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 4, 1999
                          From my earlier posting:

                          > . . .If you are not working with a frameset with a defined "main"
                          > frame you will receive an error . . .

                          I was in error here myself. This would just bring up a new browser
                          window named "main."

                          bob
                        • Bill Scott
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 4, 1999
                            bob@... wrote:

                            > >From my earlier posting:
                            >
                            > > . . .If you are not working with a frameset with a defined "main"
                            > > frame you will receive an error . . .
                            >
                            > I was in error here myself. This would just bring up a new browser
                            > window named "main."
                            >
                            > bob

                            Hi Bob and Jody:

                            This is what I found ... (might not be proper but is less complicated)
                            the frame src tag i.e. <FRAME SRC="lesson0.htm" NAME="main" frameborder=1
                            border=0 TARGET="_top"> TARGET="_top" tag cause the prior frames to be
                            dropped and the new frame1.htm to be loaded ... I think that this works if
                            you are going to another site but have not fully tested it myself just know
                            that it stops the frames from following to the next hyperlink ...

                            Bill