[NH] Re: Frames .... how do I ...??

    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 3, 1999
      Hi Bill,

      > How do I use the TARGET="_top" so that the frames does not go
      > to the next page ... ??

      If you are wanting to just jump to the top of the same page, then
      do it like you would a regalar page:

      <A HREF="top">Top of Page</A>

      Bye for now,
      Jody Adair
      Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

      http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
      http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611
      http://www.sureword.com/notetab
    • Bill Scott
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 3, 1999
        Hi Jody:
        I really have looked through everything to find this answer ... *||:^)

        No what I want is to leave the last frame behind ... so

        http://www.stockdogsaction.com/articles/frame0.htm

        calls

        http://www.stockdogsaction.com/articles/frame1.htm

        frame0 has intro page

        frame1 has lesson 1

        but the pages are identical except that they call lesson 1 ..... 8

        frame1 .... frame8

        what it is doing is cutting off the next page ..

        Bill
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 3, 1999
          Hi Bill,

          > No what I want is to leave the last frame behind ... so
          >
          > http://www.stockdogsaction.com/articles/frame0.htm
          >
          > calls
          >
          > http://www.stockdogsaction.com/articles/frame1.htm

          You have the page password protected but it I understand you
          correctly you just want to open the next frame in your main
          window. If so, don't use any target.

          <A HREF="http://www.stockdogsaction.com/articles/frame1.htm">...</A>
          <A HREF="frame1.htm">...</A>

          Those will open up frame1 in the same window.

          If you are wanting to exit the frames into a new window it would be
          something like this:

          <B><LI TYPE="disc">
          <A HREF="../clickme/clickme.htm" TARGET="_top">
          Main Index
          </B></A><BR>

          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 3, 1999
            thanks I figured it out it goes in the

            <FRAME SRC="frame0.htm" NAME="side" scrolling=NO frameborder=NO border=0
            TARGET="_top">

            Well ...

            Happy Stockdoggin ......

            Bill *||:>)
          • Bill Scott
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 3, 1999
              thanks Larry ... just could not find my notes on that tag ...

              http://junior.apk.net/~jbarta/tutor/frames/ this one is really good
              webtutor .... but it did not mention the _top tag ...

              Happy Stockdoggin ......

              Bill *||:>)
            • Lawrence M Hamilton, Jr.
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 3, 1999
                A good beginner's tutorial was developed by Joe Barta, at
                http://junior.apk.net/~jbarta/.

                He also has a goor basic HTML and Table tutor. They can all be downloaded
                at once. I learned about NoteTab from his tutorials when I first got into
                HTML.

                Larry Hamilton, Jr. lmhamilton@...
                http://www.HamiltonGenSociety.org/
                My Web Site: http://members.tripod.com/notlimaH/

                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 3, 1999
                  Hi Bill,

                  > <FRAME SRC="frame0.htm" NAME="side" scrolling=NO frameborder=NO
                  > border=0 TARGET="_top">

                  That might be used, but I have never seen it. If your frame-nnn
                  pages were linked to from another window like the index/content
                  window which you might be calling side, usually a thinner window
                  on the left then the tag would be:

                  <A HREF="http://base stuff/frame-nnn.htm" TARGET="main">...</A>

                  "main" being whatever you defined your main frame as in the FRAME
                  SRC tag.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 3, 1999
                    -Hi Bill,

                    > http://junior.apk.net/~jbarta/tutor/frames/ this one is really
                    > good webtutor .... but it did not mention the _top tag ...

                    That is where I first learned that after a long frustrating
                    experience with frames. I couldn't tell you exactly where it
                    is though.

                    Happy HTMLin'!
                    Jody

                    The NoteTab and Html List...
                    mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
                  • Bill Scott
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 3, 1999
                      Actually I found the _top tag here ...

                      http://www.newbie.net/sharky/frames/4/6.htm

                      Happy Stockdoggin ......

                      Bill *||:>)
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 3, 1999
                        Hi Bill,

                        > I have a frames question ... how do I get the following page to
                        > call a scrolling page inside the red dots ? here is the page...
                        >
                        > http://www.stockdogsaction.com/OTHER/articles_index.html

                        You need to put it into frames first and then do not use the
                        scrolling attribute are mark it as "yes" or "auto"

                        From HTMLib via NoteTab:

                        <HTML>
                        <!--HTMLIB.HTM-- >

                        <HEAD>
                        <TITLE>The HTML Reference Library</TITLE>
                        </HEAD>

                        <BASEFONT SIZE=3>

                        <FRAMESET ROWS="85,*,65">

                        <FRAME SCROLLING="no" NAME="title" NORESIZE SRC="title.htm">
                        <FRAMESET COLS="40%,60%">

                        <FRAME SCROLLING="yes" NAME="toc" SRC="toc.htm">
                        <FRAME SCROLLING="yes" NAME="main page" SRC="main.htm">

                        </FRAMESET>
                        <FRAME SCROLLING="no" NAME="HLP buttons" NORESIZE SRC="buttons.htm">

                        <NOFRAME>

                        </NOFRAME>
                        </FRAMESET>

                        A line by line breakdown
                        <FRAMESET ROWS="85,*,65">
                        This line divides the page into three regions, the top region
                        being 85 pixels in height, the bottom region being 65 pixels in
                        height, the middle region occupying the rest of the Netscape
                        window.

                        <FRAME SCROLLING="no" NAME="title" NORESIZE SRC="title.htm">

                        This line sets the top region of the window (the region that is
                        85 pixels high) to be a non-scrolling, non-resizable region. Its
                        name is title (so, any other link that specifies "title" with its
                        TARGET attribute would be displayed in this region.)

                        <FRAMESET COLS="40%,60%">

                        This splits the middle region of the Netscape window into two
                        sections horizontally. The left hand section being 40% of the
                        window width, the right hand section being the remaining 60% of
                        the window width.

                        <FRAME SCROLLING="yes" NAME="toc" SRC="toc.htm">

                        <FRAME SCROLLING="yes" NAME="main page" SRC="main.htm">

                        These two lines (as the other FRAME line above) set the
                        attributes for the two middle sections of the page. That is, it
                        names the regions "toc" and "main page" respectively and links to
                        the two pages to be displayed in the regions.

                        </FRAMESET> This line closes the sub-frames that were opened in
                        the middle section of the main framed regions.

                        <FRAME SCROLLING="no" NAME="HLP buttons" NORESIZE
                        SRC="buttons.htm">

                        This line defines the properties of the remaining main region of
                        the window - namely the bottom region, 65 pixels high. It
                        defines it as a non-scrolling, non-resizable region (ideal for
                        navigation tools)

                        The use of the NAME attribute in setting up the page regions is
                        so that each different page can have linked pages sent to it by
                        name. This way, where the document called (when a link is
                        activated) is displayed can be controlled by the author.

                        NOTE : Here, no information has been provided between the
                        <NOFRAME> … </NOFRAME> elements. This is where the author must
                        put information that s/he wishes to be displayed on browsers that
                        do not support the use of frames.

                        From the Quick Reference in the same HTMLib ver. 3:

                        SCROLLING="yes|no|auto"
                        The SCROLLING attribute is used to describe if the frame should
                        have a scrollbar or not. Yes results in scrollbars always being
                        visible on that frame. No results in scrollbars never being
                        visible. Auto instructs the browser to decide whether scrollbars
                        are needed, and place them where necessary. The SCROLLING
                        attribute is optional; the default value is auto.

                        Happy HTMLin'!
                        Jody

                        The NoteTab and Html List...
                        mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
                      • bob@newsome.net
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 3, 1999
                          <37a78761.b612b2-@...> wrote:
                          original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html/?start=129
                          > Actually I found the _top tag here ...
                          >
                          > http://www.newbie.net/sharky/frames/4/6.htm
                          >
                          > Happy Stockdoggin ......
                          >
                          > Bill *||:>)

                          Actually _top is not a tag, it is a location (or object) to which a
                          tags attribute points. when you want to replace the contents of a frame
                          you can designate the location by using the target attribute, such as:

                          It is easy to see this line of html will cause the word WELCOME to
                          become a hyperlink to load the home.htm page. The target attribute will
                          cause that page to be loaded into the frame designated as "main." If
                          you are not working with a frameset with a defined "main" frame you
                          will receive an error. The page you spoke of above listed reserved
                          window objects that exist in all frame cases wether you have defined a
                          frameset or not.

                          As the page also indicated "target" can be used to designate an
                          alternative window to recieve the content.

                          I have never seen the designator _top used as you have shown in
                          because "target" is not an attribute of frame or frameset.

                          bob newsome
                        • bob@newsome.net
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 3, 1999
                            <37a60dcc.3e56647-@...> wrote:
                            original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html/?start=116
                            > Hi All:
                            > I have a frames question ... how do I get the following page to
                            > call a scrolling page inside the red dots ? here is the page ...
                            >
                            > http://www.stockdogsaction.com/OTHER/articles_index.html
                            >
                            > Bill

                            I have built a strawman of what I beleive you are lookng for, take a
                            look and try the left hand links at:

                            http://1wh.com/newsome/stockdogs/

                            Let me know if this helps you along.

                            bob newsome
                          • bob@newsome.net
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 4, 1999
                              From my earlier posting:

                              > . . .If you are not working with a frameset with a defined "main"
                              > frame you will receive an error . . .

                              I was in error here myself. This would just bring up a new browser
                              window named "main."

                              bob
                            • Bill Scott
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 4, 1999
                                bob@... wrote:

                                > >From my earlier posting:
                                >
                                > > . . .If you are not working with a frameset with a defined "main"
                                > > frame you will receive an error . . .
                                >
                                > I was in error here myself. This would just bring up a new browser
                                > window named "main."
                                >
                                > bob

                                Hi Bob and Jody:

                                This is what I found ... (might not be proper but is less complicated)
                                the frame src tag i.e. <FRAME SRC="lesson0.htm" NAME="main" frameborder=1
                                border=0 TARGET="_top"> TARGET="_top" tag cause the prior frames to be
                                dropped and the new frame1.htm to be loaded ... I think that this works if
                                you are going to another site but have not fully tested it myself just know
                                that it stops the frames from following to the next hyperlink ...

                                Bill