[NH] Re: ntb-html digest

  • Bob Newsome
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3 6:33 AM
      > Hi All:
      > I have a frames question ... how do I get the following page to
      > call a scrolling page inside the red dots ? here is the page ...
      >
      > http://www.stockdogsaction.com/OTHER/articles_index.html
      >
      > Bill

      Bill,

      You need a frameset page that creates four frames (maybe named
      articles_index.html) containing something like:

      <head>
      <title>
      Border Collies N Stuff Puppy Tutorial
      </title>
      </head>
      <frameset>
      <frame rows="100,*,200" border="0">
      <frame src="header.html" name="header" scrolling="no" resize="no"
      frameborder="no">
      <frameset cols="100,*">
      <frame src="l_border.html" name="l_border" scrolling="no" resize="no"
      frameborder="no">
      <frame src="articles_main.html" name="main" scrolling="yes"
      resize="no" frameborder="no">
      </frameset>
      <frame src="footer.html" name="footer" scrolling="no" resize="no"
      frameborder="no">
      </frameset>

      Actually I did all this before scrolling down to see all the stuff at the
      bottom of your page. I made the adjustments in the frameset source above but
      you will have a real problem now. In an average 800 x 600 screen (with the
      window maximized) you are eating up half of all your real estate with the
      header and footer frames. You need to consider condensing this to allow your
      main reason for existing, the content to breathe.

      Now you need to create the pages for each frame and match the file name to
      what you have defined in your frameset definitions, in this case:
      topborder.html, l_border.html, articles_main.html, and footer.html.
      Basically the title and top row of red dots will go into the header frame
      and all the navigation buttons and spacers will go into the l_border frame
      and your content into the main frame.

      Something to consider about frames. Some search engines have difficulty with
      them and your site will not be indexed properly. Additionally if someone
      bookmarks the main frame and they return to your site using this URL, they
      will be without all the navigation aids you have in the l_border frame.

      Finally, I see you have defined the font (typeface) for the title on your
      page to a very uncommon face. You need to realize that very few people will
      see this unless they have the typeface installed on their systems.

      This'll get you started. Good luck, frames can be challengeing at best and a
      good gray matter exercise at times.

      bob newsome
    • Bill Scott
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3 7:32 AM
        Hi Bob:
        Thanks I will play with this ... should each navigation button on the left be
        going to another frame.htm file which would have the same look but call a
        different lesson
        lesson 1 , 2, 3, 4 ,5,6,7,8??? I know there is an easier way ... what I want is
        for the
        lessons to look like they are coming up between the red dots ...
        anyway I think I can accomplish the look that way ... maybe java or css ??.

        Bill
      • Bill Scott
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 3 9:50 AM
          I have everything working but .... the bottom row ... can someone see why.. i
          can't seem to get it to have two rows and two columns
          top row
          side column
          middle column
          bottom row ...??
          <HTML>
          <HEAD>
          <TITLE>Puppy Tutorial Clinic</TITLE>
          </HEAD>

          <FRAMESET ROWS="87,*" frameborder=NO border=0 framespacing=0>
          <FRAME SRC="top.htm" NAME="menu_frame" frameborder=0 border=0 scrolling=no>
          <FRAME SRC="bottom.htm" NAME="menu_frame" frameborder=0 border=0
          scrolling=no>

          <FRAMESET COLS="120,*" frameborder=NO border="0" framespacing=0>
          <FRAME SRC="articles_index.html" NAME="side" scrolling=NO frameborder="0"
          border="0">
          <FRAME SRC="http://www.stockdogsaction.com/articles/lesson1.htm" NAME="main"
          frameborder=0 border=0>

          </FRAMESET>

          <NOFRAMES>

          Your Browser Does Not Support Frames. You can still start at <A
          HREF="lesson1.htm">lesson1.htm</A> but it does look much nicer with frames.

          </NOFRAMES>
          </HTML>

          Any Help would be appreciated ...
          Happy Stockdoggin ......