[NH] Re: Frames .... how do I ...??

  • Bill Scott
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 2, 1999
      Hi All:
      I have a frames question ... how do I get the following page to
      call a scrolling page inside the red dots ? here is the page ...

      http://www.stockdogsaction.com/OTHER/articles_index.html

      Bill
    • Bill Scott
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 3, 1999
        Hi All:

        How do I use the TARGET="_top" so that the frames does not go to the next
        page ... ??

        Bill
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 3, 1999
          Hi Bill,

          > How do I use the TARGET="_top" so that the frames does not go
          > to the next page ... ??

          If you are wanting to just jump to the top of the same page, then
          do it like you would a regalar page:

          <A HREF="top">Top of Page</A>

          Bye for now,
          Jody Adair
          Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

          http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
          http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611
          http://www.sureword.com/notetab
        • Bill Scott
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 3, 1999
            Hi Jody:
            I really have looked through everything to find this answer ... *||:^)

            No what I want is to leave the last frame behind ... so

            http://www.stockdogsaction.com/articles/frame0.htm

            calls

            http://www.stockdogsaction.com/articles/frame1.htm

            frame0 has intro page

            frame1 has lesson 1

            but the pages are identical except that they call lesson 1 ..... 8

            frame1 .... frame8

            what it is doing is cutting off the next page ..

            Bill
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 3, 1999
              Hi Bill,

              > No what I want is to leave the last frame behind ... so
              >
              > http://www.stockdogsaction.com/articles/frame0.htm
              >
              > calls
              >
              > http://www.stockdogsaction.com/articles/frame1.htm

              You have the page password protected but it I understand you
              correctly you just want to open the next frame in your main
              window. If so, don't use any target.

              <A HREF="http://www.stockdogsaction.com/articles/frame1.htm">...</A>
              <A HREF="frame1.htm">...</A>

              Those will open up frame1 in the same window.

              If you are wanting to exit the frames into a new window it would be
              something like this:

              <B><LI TYPE="disc">
              <A HREF="../clickme/clickme.htm" TARGET="_top">
              Main Index
              </B></A><BR>

              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 3, 1999
                thanks I figured it out it goes in the

                <FRAME SRC="frame0.htm" NAME="side" scrolling=NO frameborder=NO border=0
                TARGET="_top">

                Well ...

                Happy Stockdoggin ......

                Bill *||:>)
              • Bill Scott
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 3, 1999
                  thanks Larry ... just could not find my notes on that tag ...

                  http://junior.apk.net/~jbarta/tutor/frames/ this one is really good
                  webtutor .... but it did not mention the _top tag ...

                  Happy Stockdoggin ......

                  Bill *||:>)
                • Lawrence M Hamilton, Jr.
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 3, 1999
                    A good beginner's tutorial was developed by Joe Barta, at
                    http://junior.apk.net/~jbarta/.

                    He also has a goor basic HTML and Table tutor. They can all be downloaded
                    at once. I learned about NoteTab from his tutorials when I first got into
                    HTML.

                    Larry Hamilton, Jr. lmhamilton@...
                    http://www.HamiltonGenSociety.org/
                    My Web Site: http://members.tripod.com/notlimaH/

                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 3, 1999
                      Hi Bill,

                      > <FRAME SRC="frame0.htm" NAME="side" scrolling=NO frameborder=NO
                      > border=0 TARGET="_top">

                      That might be used, but I have never seen it. If your frame-nnn
                      pages were linked to from another window like the index/content
                      window which you might be calling side, usually a thinner window
                      on the left then the tag would be:

                      <A HREF="http://base stuff/frame-nnn.htm" TARGET="main">...</A>

                      "main" being whatever you defined your main frame as in the FRAME
                      SRC tag.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 3, 1999
                        -Hi Bill,

                        > http://junior.apk.net/~jbarta/tutor/frames/ this one is really
                        > good webtutor .... but it did not mention the _top tag ...

                        That is where I first learned that after a long frustrating
                        experience with frames. I couldn't tell you exactly where it
                        is though.

                        Happy HTMLin'!
                        Jody

                        The NoteTab and Html List...
                        mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
                      • Bill Scott
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 3, 1999
                          Actually I found the _top tag here ...

                          http://www.newbie.net/sharky/frames/4/6.htm

                          Happy Stockdoggin ......

                          Bill *||:>)
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 3, 1999
                            Hi Bill,

                            > I have a frames question ... how do I get the following page to
                            > call a scrolling page inside the red dots ? here is the page...
                            >
                            > http://www.stockdogsaction.com/OTHER/articles_index.html

                            You need to put it into frames first and then do not use the
                            scrolling attribute are mark it as "yes" or "auto"

                            From HTMLib via NoteTab:

                            <HTML>
                            <!--HTMLIB.HTM-- >

                            <HEAD>
                            <TITLE>The HTML Reference Library</TITLE>
                            </HEAD>

                            <BASEFONT SIZE=3>

                            <FRAMESET ROWS="85,*,65">

                            <FRAME SCROLLING="no" NAME="title" NORESIZE SRC="title.htm">
                            <FRAMESET COLS="40%,60%">

                            <FRAME SCROLLING="yes" NAME="toc" SRC="toc.htm">
                            <FRAME SCROLLING="yes" NAME="main page" SRC="main.htm">

                            </FRAMESET>
                            <FRAME SCROLLING="no" NAME="HLP buttons" NORESIZE SRC="buttons.htm">

                            <NOFRAME>

                            </NOFRAME>
                            </FRAMESET>

                            A line by line breakdown
                            <FRAMESET ROWS="85,*,65">
                            This line divides the page into three regions, the top region
                            being 85 pixels in height, the bottom region being 65 pixels in
                            height, the middle region occupying the rest of the Netscape
                            window.

                            <FRAME SCROLLING="no" NAME="title" NORESIZE SRC="title.htm">

                            This line sets the top region of the window (the region that is
                            85 pixels high) to be a non-scrolling, non-resizable region. Its
                            name is title (so, any other link that specifies "title" with its
                            TARGET attribute would be displayed in this region.)

                            <FRAMESET COLS="40%,60%">

                            This splits the middle region of the Netscape window into two
                            sections horizontally. The left hand section being 40% of the
                            window width, the right hand section being the remaining 60% of
                            the window width.

                            <FRAME SCROLLING="yes" NAME="toc" SRC="toc.htm">

                            <FRAME SCROLLING="yes" NAME="main page" SRC="main.htm">

                            These two lines (as the other FRAME line above) set the
                            attributes for the two middle sections of the page. That is, it
                            names the regions "toc" and "main page" respectively and links to
                            the two pages to be displayed in the regions.

                            </FRAMESET> This line closes the sub-frames that were opened in
                            the middle section of the main framed regions.

                            <FRAME SCROLLING="no" NAME="HLP buttons" NORESIZE
                            SRC="buttons.htm">

                            This line defines the properties of the remaining main region of
                            the window - namely the bottom region, 65 pixels high. It
                            defines it as a non-scrolling, non-resizable region (ideal for
                            navigation tools)

                            The use of the NAME attribute in setting up the page regions is
                            so that each different page can have linked pages sent to it by
                            name. This way, where the document called (when a link is
                            activated) is displayed can be controlled by the author.

                            NOTE : Here, no information has been provided between the
                            <NOFRAME> … </NOFRAME> elements. This is where the author must
                            put information that s/he wishes to be displayed on browsers that
                            do not support the use of frames.

                            From the Quick Reference in the same HTMLib ver. 3:

                            SCROLLING="yes|no|auto"
                            The SCROLLING attribute is used to describe if the frame should
                            have a scrollbar or not. Yes results in scrollbars always being
                            visible on that frame. No results in scrollbars never being
                            visible. Auto instructs the browser to decide whether scrollbars
                            are needed, and place them where necessary. The SCROLLING
                            attribute is optional; the default value is auto.

                            Happy HTMLin'!
                            Jody

                            The NoteTab and Html List...
                            mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
                          • bob@newsome.net
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 3, 1999
                              <37a78761.b612b2-@...> wrote:
                              original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html/?start=129
                              > Actually I found the _top tag here ...
                              >
                              > http://www.newbie.net/sharky/frames/4/6.htm
                              >
                              > Happy Stockdoggin ......
                              >
                              > Bill *||:>)

                              Actually _top is not a tag, it is a location (or object) to which a
                              tags attribute points. when you want to replace the contents of a frame
                              you can designate the location by using the target attribute, such as:

                              It is easy to see this line of html will cause the word WELCOME to
                              become a hyperlink to load the home.htm page. The target attribute will
                              cause that page to be loaded into the frame designated as "main." If
                              you are not working with a frameset with a defined "main" frame you
                              will receive an error. The page you spoke of above listed reserved
                              window objects that exist in all frame cases wether you have defined a
                              frameset or not.

                              As the page also indicated "target" can be used to designate an
                              alternative window to recieve the content.

                              I have never seen the designator _top used as you have shown in
                              because "target" is not an attribute of frame or frameset.

                              bob newsome
                            • bob@newsome.net
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 3, 1999
                                <37a60dcc.3e56647-@...> wrote:
                                original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-html/?start=116
                                > Hi All:
                                > I have a frames question ... how do I get the following page to
                                > call a scrolling page inside the red dots ? here is the page ...
                                >
                                > http://www.stockdogsaction.com/OTHER/articles_index.html
                                >
                                > Bill

                                I have built a strawman of what I beleive you are lookng for, take a
                                look and try the left hand links at:

                                http://1wh.com/newsome/stockdogs/

                                Let me know if this helps you along.

                                bob newsome
                              • bob@newsome.net
                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 4, 1999
                                  From my earlier posting:

                                  > . . .If you are not working with a frameset with a defined "main"
                                  > frame you will receive an error . . .

                                  I was in error here myself. This would just bring up a new browser
                                  window named "main."

                                  bob
                                • Bill Scott
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Aug 4, 1999
                                    bob@... wrote:

                                    > >From my earlier posting:
                                    >
                                    > > . . .If you are not working with a frameset with a defined "main"
                                    > > frame you will receive an error . . .
                                    >
                                    > I was in error here myself. This would just bring up a new browser
                                    > window named "main."
                                    >
                                    > bob

                                    Hi Bob and Jody:

                                    This is what I found ... (might not be proper but is less complicated)
                                    the frame src tag i.e. <FRAME SRC="lesson0.htm" NAME="main" frameborder=1
                                    border=0 TARGET="_top"> TARGET="_top" tag cause the prior frames to be
                                    dropped and the new frame1.htm to be loaded ... I think that this works if
                                    you are going to another site but have not fully tested it myself just know
                                    that it stops the frames from following to the next hyperlink ...

                                    Bill