RE: [NH] .css, text-align: center;

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 62 , Nov 3, 2000
      Hi Jody,

      You'll be glad to hear I'm no longer ranting! :-)

      > ><SPAN> is the equivalent of a "character style" (like bold or italic)
      > ><DIV> is the equivalent of a "paragraph format" (like center or bullets)
      > >
      > >You can't ask for a single letter in the middle of a word to be
      > >centred, so why should you expect a SPAN style to accept it.
      >
      > I wouldn't and this is why .css is so much more difficult for me
      > to use than regular HTML tags. I already know what <CENTER>,
      > <BOLD>, <BLOCKQUOTE> means.

      But this was part of my grumble. It appeared that to you BLOCKQUOTE meant
      "indent the paragraphs a bit, please", whereas what it means is "show this
      section in a distinctive way which demonstrates it is a block of quoted text".

      To put it technically it's a "logical" tag rather than a "physical" tag, the
      usual example of the difference being the logical EM(phasis) or the physical
      BOLD. With EM the browser will determine how to interpret it. While there's
      less room for interpretation of BOLD visually, it has virtually no meaning to
      someone receiving your page through an aural browser (which might arbitrarily
      increase the volume or drop the pitch of the voice synthesis) or a tactile
      browser (Would such software wrap the quote in Braille asterisks? I've no
      idea!).

      My concern was that you were only worrying about how your web page look in a
      couple of (admittedly popular) browsers and probably ignoring how they look in
      others, particularly those in non graphical environments, and certainly how they
      might sound or feel in others.

      As a NOTETAB user, it shouldn't matter to you that it's one click for the
      author. You can customise that part easily. What should matter is that you
      produce the most universally acceptable HTML.

      > OH, hust because you don't like my abnormal use of <BLOCKQUOTE>
      > you want to put a hex on me, eh? :)

      Not you personally, Jody. (What would we do without you?) Your request was
      just a hook to hang a general point to be made about HTML and style sheets.

      > So, I guess to keep you purist
      > happy I would want to use some type of <H2> equivalent. :) Never have
      > liked using <Hn> though. OH, is that what you mean by Hx above?

      Yes "x" did represent any appropriate number. And yes! With STYLE you can add
      a class="xxxx" to virtually any tag and ask it to be just the way you want it.
      So I really do recommend that you play with it. You'll discover you actually
      end up with much better control than you have with pure HTML. With CSS2 you
      even find that you can make sure the printed versions of you pages don't split
      your photographs and screen dumps over a couple of pages too! Joy!

      Greg
      Message 62 of 62 , Dec 31, 2000
        Hi Greg,

        >I know that Eric recommends "The HTML Reference Library"
        >(http://www.htmlib.com/) which I have not looked at yet. I use
        >the excellent downloadable guide to HTML from
        >http://www.htmlhelp.com/distribution/

        So, you definitely recommend the above, eh? Believe it or not, I
        still had the post in my inbox and trying to clean it up. :)

        Happy New Year to you all!

        OffTopic:
        If there is an expert Linux and PERL person on the list can you
        please write me private eMail if you have time to fix a script
        for a problem I have displaying my last partition in Windows.

        http://www.notetab.net

        The NoteTab and Html List...
        mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...