Re: [NH] code for form

  • Bill Scott
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 3, 2000
      Hi Lotta:
      you should be able to use any of the normal form tags inside your
      form here is a sample of my cartmanager software .... the way set
      your options are between the Pipe | symbol so the
      first |customer|discription|price| etc etc ... what goes between
      the pipes might vary for each
      cart system but my guess is they are probably all using a canned
      cgi .... for processing forms. it looks very similar to my first
      cart which was free ...

      here is an example from my shopping cart system ....

      <form method=POST
      action="http://www.cartmanager.net/cgi-bin/cart.cgi">
      <input type=hidden name=AddItem
      value="customer number|Nylon Landyards
      w/swivel|4.45|VARQuantity|0042|||||">
      <input type=text name=VARQuantity size=4 value="1">
      <input type=image
      src="http://www.stockdogsaction.com/OTHER/add.gif"><BR>

      <select name="VARcost">
      <option value="red">red</option>
      <option value="yellow">yellow</option>
      <option value="Navy">Navy</option>
      <option value="Green">Green</option>
      <option value="white">white</option>

      </select></form>

      We now have online interactive chat on our web site .... !

      Bill

      Border Collies N Stuff

      http://www.stockdogsaction.com/OTHER/index.html
    • Stephen Riddle
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 4, 2000
        Hi Mette,

        Mette wrote:

        > Heisan Lotta! and hello Bill and Stephen!
        >
        > I have been reading those CGI scripts up and down since I never saw a CGI
        > script in my life before. I finally got it to work somehow.

        I have not done CGI either, but I went to the Qcart web page.

        > I bought this
        > package, and found out that the 24 hour support did not include anything on
        > how to do this code. That belongs to Premium support department @ $100 or
        > 175
        > per hour. I don't remember, and I can't afford either.

        .
        .
        .

        > The rest of my multiple
        > choice menus are all linked together in this way, the first pull down menu
        > reflects the variable VARFrill1 from the form:
        >
        > <select name="VARFrill1">
        > </select>
        > <select name="VARFrill2">
        > </select>
        > <select name="VARFrill3">
        > </select>

        I see what you are doing now with the variable names above. They are located
        inside quote marks and that makes it acceptable. I suspect it might be better
        using the character references, e.g. "Mat color: Red<br><li>. . ." but if
        it works, don't break it.
        .
        .
        .

        > Stephen how do I find out if the cgi script allow the text box in the middle
        > of the form full of multiple choice drop down menus? Thanks for your advice
        > and I am happy I found the right list. I was sending it to the clip group
        > first, not realizing there were 2 different e-mails.

        According to how I understand Qcart's page, they do not want you to use text
        boxes.
        They have sample html code, and it is all for drop down lists.
        You, if you know what you are doing, could probably re-write the form to make
        text boxes
        work, but you would need to have a validator, that is some kind of script to
        make sure that what the customer enters is something you actually sell. For
        instance instead of "Mat color:Red", if you did not have some kind of validation
        system, the customer might make up a color: "Mat color:Burgandy and Pink Plaid".

        Apparently, though, you can have any number of forms on your page linking to
        Qcart. I could not figure out their pricing scheme, and the html coding of
        numerous choices for a catalogue is pretty tedious, but breaking down the
        choices into discrete option lists is probably a good idea.
        You could write a form linked to a JavaScript which fills in the customer's
        order for you and sends that to Qcart, but I am not quite sure if that would
        save you time and am not sure (without a lot of hard thinking) on where or how
        you would begin to do it.
        You might have the customer fill out two forms, one to be sent to Qcart, and one
        to you. The one to you containing specific order information filled out with a
        text box (making sure you can phone, e-mail or write the customer to clear up
        any confusion, and the other going to Qcart with billing information.
        Face to Face stores do this, sending one set of information to accounting
        departments, and another set to the folks who actually get the goods to whomever
        needs them.
        I hope this helps.
        Good Luck,
        Stephen
      • Lotta
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 4, 2000
          Hi all,

          Mette, I reread your first post and am wondering if you are asking if you
          can mix option fields and text fields on your WEB PAGE? That you can do. As
          Stephen said, the only elements SELECT can contain are OPTION and OPTGROUP.
          But you can mix the fields on the page by closing the Select Element before
          putting a text field in.

          Something like the following is perfectly OK. If your script can handle the
          free user input is another matter and above me.

          <SELECT>
          <OPTION></OPTION>
          <OPTION></OPTION>
          </SELECT>

          <INPUT type="text">

          <SELECT>
          <OPTION></OPTION>
          <OPTION></OPTION>
          </SELECT>

          And so on...Well, at least we are trying :)