[NH] Re: Workflow

  • Jan Wilson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 24, 1999
      Martyn Folkes asked on Saturday, July 24, 1999:

      > Would anyone out there like to share the processes you go through to
      > create your web site using ntp? Where do you start? Do you use other
      > text editors or wysiwyg editors to help in the process? How do you
      > upload and maintain the site?

      I used to use HomeSite because I did NOT like what wysiwyg-html
      editors like FrontPage did to the HTML code. Besides, I like to know
      what my code is DOING. Anyway, I started finding that it was a lot
      easier to open a document in NoteTab Pro than to wait for HomeSite to
      load ... it started taking too long, and there were some annoying bugs
      at one point in HomeSite's development.

      Well, I haven't opened HomeSite in months ... probably ought to delete
      it. Use primarily a combination of NoteTab Pro and Perl. Every page
      I write gets run through a Perl script ... and that seems to be
      evolving into a kind of home-brew HTML editing language. It began as
      a way to have Perl do all the tedious navigation stuff ... keeping
      track of which page and its associated image is the previous page, and
      which is next ... and creating the HTML code that adds all the
      navigation tools.

      Then I started adding things to make life easier. For example, my
      "source" file is for one or many pages all in the same directory. To
      tell it to move to the next page, I simply add an <hr> tag. Since I
      never use the simple horizontal rule (boring), it becomes my page
      break symbol. Perl automatically creates the navigation now to get
      from the previous page to this next page.

      Plain old HTML works pretty well for most things, but if you use
      tables a lot, the code really gets messy. So my Perl script
      translates this:

      <:table:3:40r:20c:40:>This is My Table
      Something for column one
      And for column two
      Finally something to go in column three

      into this:

      <caption>This is My Table</caption>
      Something for column one
      And for column two
      Finally something to go in column three

      It gets a lot more involved, but I hope that gives you an idea. If
      you'd like to see how it all works together, view either:

      I work on my sites on the local hard disk, then when I'm ready, I
      upload whatever has been changed to the web hosting service using
      Bullet-Proof FTP. Probably any decent FTP client would do ... I just
      like that one.

      Oh, I use Corel PhotoPaint on images (which is a whole 'nother topic)
      and other things from time to time like VIM (a unix/Linux editor),
      HyperSnap (to capture screen images), and others.

      My clips are hybrids, using NTP Clip Language and/or Perl. If what I
      want to do can be done easily in the Clip Language, I use that. For
      serious text manipulation, I switch to Perl. Makes a good

      More than you really wanted to know, right? ;-)

      Jan Wilson / corocom@...
      Corozal Community College / Corozal Junior College
      Corozal Town, Belize / Central America
      Visit our Corozal page / http://www.corozal.com
      PGP key at keyservers / or at pgpkey@...