[NH] Workflow

  • Martyn Folkes
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 24, 1999
      Would anyone out there like to share the processes you go through to
      create your web site using ntp? Where do you start? Do you use other
      text editors or wysiwyg editors to help in the process? How do you
      upload and maintain the site?

      I would be very interested to hear your thoughts.

      Martyn Folkes
      Martyn Folkes
    • Jan Wilson
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 24, 1999
        Martyn Folkes asked on Saturday, July 24, 1999:

        > Would anyone out there like to share the processes you go through to
        > create your web site using ntp? Where do you start? Do you use other
        > text editors or wysiwyg editors to help in the process? How do you
        > upload and maintain the site?

        I used to use HomeSite because I did NOT like what wysiwyg-html
        editors like FrontPage did to the HTML code. Besides, I like to know
        what my code is DOING. Anyway, I started finding that it was a lot
        easier to open a document in NoteTab Pro than to wait for HomeSite to
        load ... it started taking too long, and there were some annoying bugs
        at one point in HomeSite's development.

        Well, I haven't opened HomeSite in months ... probably ought to delete
        it. Use primarily a combination of NoteTab Pro and Perl. Every page
        I write gets run through a Perl script ... and that seems to be
        evolving into a kind of home-brew HTML editing language. It began as
        a way to have Perl do all the tedious navigation stuff ... keeping
        track of which page and its associated image is the previous page, and
        which is next ... and creating the HTML code that adds all the
        navigation tools.

        Then I started adding things to make life easier. For example, my
        "source" file is for one or many pages all in the same directory. To
        tell it to move to the next page, I simply add an <hr> tag. Since I
        never use the simple horizontal rule (boring), it becomes my page
        break symbol. Perl automatically creates the navigation now to get
        from the previous page to this next page.

        Plain old HTML works pretty well for most things, but if you use
        tables a lot, the code really gets messy. So my Perl script
        translates this:

        <:table:3:40r:20c:40:>This is My Table
        Something for column one
        And for column two
        Finally something to go in column three
        <:table:x:>

        into this:

        <caption>This is My Table</caption>
        Something for column one
        And for column two
        Finally something to go in column three

        It gets a lot more involved, but I hope that gives you an idea. If
        you'd like to see how it all works together, view either:

        http://www.corozal.com/

        or

        http://www.belizeretire.com/

        I work on my sites on the local hard disk, then when I'm ready, I
        upload whatever has been changed to the web hosting service using
        Bullet-Proof FTP. Probably any decent FTP client would do ... I just
        like that one.

        Oh, I use Corel PhotoPaint on images (which is a whole 'nother topic)
        and other things from time to time like VIM (a unix/Linux editor),
        HyperSnap (to capture screen images), and others.

        My clips are hybrids, using NTP Clip Language and/or Perl. If what I
        want to do can be done easily in the Clip Language, I use that. For
        serious text manipulation, I switch to Perl. Makes a good
        combination.

        More than you really wanted to know, right? ;-)

        Jan Wilson / corocom@...
        Corozal Community College / Corozal Junior College
        Corozal Town, Belize / Central America
        Visit our Corozal page / http://www.corozal.com
        PGP key at keyservers / or at pgpkey@...