7332Re: [NH] Position Image Using CSS

    Nov 20, 2013
      Marcelo Bastos wrote:
      > or your main public is a bunch of old codgers

      With my main public including myself, that's the case, so

      > Some will object that HTML5 is still "experimental."

      Some parts of HTML5 are really good, like your <figure>, but others are
      plain bloated nonsense and the oppsite of what lean and clean HTML was
      once created to be.

      > Making the image width be "100%" means that the image will stretch
      > and shrink with the box (the <figure> element, in this case).

      I still all too often encounter thumbnails that take ages to load. Also
      the scaling algorithmy in browsers are optimized for speed not quality
      and it shows. So I always scale my images exterally and do not ever
      rescale them. Blogging software usually has mechanisms for serving
      different images to different views or machines, that's something to
      look into, perhaps.