7218Re: [NH] Notetab refuses to perform edits on this .html file

  • Marcelo Bastos
    Oct 9, 2012
      Interviewed by CNN on 09/10/2012 21:51, stitch.happy told the world:
      > I'm just getting my feet wet with using NoteTab to edit .html docs.
      >
      > I made a local copy of this web page:
      >
      > http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/scaffolding.html

      I didn't check, but most time when I couldn't edit a file, it turned out
      to be a Unicode file. Notetab has limited Unicode support.

      The thing to do, you save the file as a copy. Then edit the copy.

      The problem: if there were Unicode characters there, you lost them. You
      then have to figure out what they were and where they went originally.
      And then you have to find out the character entities for them and enter
      them manually.

      One way to do that, I found, is by using Microsoft Word. Open the
      original file in Word, save it as "Web page, filtered." Word is pretty
      useless as a HTML editor, but it does have good Unicode support, and it
      will usually convert Unicode to a Win-1252 file with all the
      1252-incompatible characters to HTML numbered entities. Then you open
      this file in Notepad, search for "&#", and there you have it, the
      mystery characters.

      And that is the second reason I still keep Word in my computer, since I
      hardly ever use it for writing nowadays. (The first reason is that the
      file-compare feature in Word is pretty kickass, and I have to compare
      files now and then).

      --
      MCBastos

      -=-=-
      ... Sent from my HAL 9000.
      * Added by TagZilla 0.7a1 running on Seamonkey 2.12.1 *