7039Re: [NH] Markdown Library Script

  • Sheri
    Nov 19, 2011

      > Sheri wrote:
      > > What?! That's exactly the purpose of the ^!RunPerl clip command.
      >
      > I never knew that. Now I'll only need to find a version of
      > Perl running on Win98. When looking earlier I only found
      > ones for XP and up.
      >
      > Danke
      > Axel

      I had ActiveState Perl installed on Win98 back when.

      I suspect the only issue is their installer. ActiveState's download is an MSI file, which needs Windows Installer 2.0 or later. The ActiveState distribution is not "supported" for OS versions earlier than XP, but their docs state that for Win 2000 you need to install Windows installer 2.0 or later. While earlier Windows OS'es are not mentioned, there is a version of the required Windows installer for Win98 available here:
      <http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=21990>

      If I were you I'd try the latest. If you install an old version, among other issues compatible library builds won't be readily available.

      You do need 200 MB disk space available to do the installation, and the install I just did of ActivePerl-5.14.2.1402-MSWin32-x86-295342 took awhile to complete (my CPU is the same one I once used 98 with) but it only ultimately uses 100 MB of space. It installs to C:\Perl and includes numerous libraries, html doc files, sample programs, misc apps (such as one for searching, retrieving and installing new libraries), etc.

      The only thing other than unpack all the files the installer does, is ask you whether you want it add something to your path or associate .pl files with perl.exe. If any doubt it would do those things correctly, decline and do it yourself. Oh, and the installer keeps the fact that you've installed ActiveState in the registry.

      Regards,
      Sheri
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic