6989Re: [NH] Use Of target="_blank"

    Mar 27, 2011
      Ray Shapp wrote:
      > Is this an example of a "hover-based pop-up"?

      Yes, exactly.
      > Axel, are you saying that the subcategories of hardware
      > on the NewEgg site are illegible for you?

      I am. Firstly they are not even present and after allowing scripting
      this is what I see:

      http://berger-odenthal.de/upload/Clipboard01.png

      > Do most of these hover-based pop-ups get
      > spawned by the operation of JavaScript code?

      Yes. Mostly it seems to be because many authors just don't know how to
      do it in pure CSS. On the other hand this example conforms to a
      useability rule of adding a slight delay. See:
      http://www.useit.com/alertbox/mega-dropdown-menus.html
      under the heading "Speed".

      So here script is good, but they ought to implement pure CSS first and
      have the script, when running, turn that off first and replace it by the
      better version. Never exclude visitors without script.

      By the way my sample design employs the CSS solution in the left menu
      and it shows the problems with that. Try moving down to a certain top
      menu entry from the top, you'll fail. I ought to write a script with
      delay for that, but then we all ought to do many things ...