6987Re: [NH] Use Of target="_blank"

    Mar 27, 2011
      Scott Fordin wrote:
      > There are times, however, when it's appropriate to spawn new windows

      Yes absolutely. I know I tend to be of the black and white school with
      no exceptions, but when used sensibly pop-ups and new windows do have
      their place. Just remember how rare these instances are.

      > For example, hover-based pop-ups are not so
      > great on mobile phones, and they're really bad if your users rely on
      > screen reading add-ons.

      And of course for those fed up with noisy disturbing backgrounds all
      browsers offer a setting to turn them off. The result is that for me all
      these hovers have a transparent background and become illegible. Alas
      the number of sensible uses of the hover technique is minuscule compared
      to all the inappropriate backgrounds so I live with it.