6967Re: [NH] Use Of target="_blank"

    Mar 26, 2011
      Ray Shapp wrote:
      > I recall some folks advocated strongly,

      That must have been me among others, doesn't take much to set me off in
      a rant on that subject.

      Three reasons
      1) It doesn't validate (though Lotta says that will change in HTML 5).
      2) It is my computer and my browser and I decide when and when not to
      open tabs and windows. See:
      http://www.minervation.com/index.aspx?o=1149&newsitem=1812
      http://www.useit.com/alertbox/990530.html
      3) Perhaps most important and worst: It breaks the back-button.

      This also goes for non-browser files. I forbid my Acrobat to sit inside
      a browser window, so whenever someone makes a PDF link with
      target="_blank" I will get an EMPTY tab. It is better to add the
      following to your .htaccess:
      <FilesMatch "\.(pdf|mp3)$">
      Header add Content-Disposition "Attachment"
      </FilesMatch>

      One last related point. It is good to add
      <BASE TARGET="_top">
      to your <HEAD>. This prevents others from opening your page in a frame
      of their frameset thus hiding the source and claiming your work as their
      own.

      And one very last:
      > Currently, the site uses frames, therefore, the main
      > navigation links can always be visible.

      If you have not done so already take a look at server side includes. You
      might also adopt a little script of mine. It checks whether the window
      is wide enough to prevent horizontal scrolling and high enough to take
      all the menu and if both conditions are satisfied it makes the menu
      fixed. Thus it will always be there and people who have scrolled down
      several pages need not go back up again to find it. (Your current frames
      do that already.)
      http://fdp.berger-odenthal.de/base/fix-menue.js
      (Forget the "unten" bit. You'll also see a bit of bad style in there. In
      the spirit of semantic markup I ought to have used <DIV ID="menu"> and
      not <DIV ID="left">.)