6966Re: [NH] Use Of target="_blank"

  • Ray Shapp
    Mar 26, 2011
      Hi Lotta,

      Thank you for your insights. What do you say to the problem that annoys me
      about sites that don't provide easy links to backtrack? IOW, I have visited
      sites where I have clicked seven or eight windows deep and then want to go
      back to say the third or fourth window. Yes, I can hit backspace four times.
      That has happened often enough so that now, when I am visiting an
      unfamiliar site I often shift-click to each successive window so that I
      don't "get lost" in backtracking.

      Maybe I'm glum because winter has returned to the northeast U.S. and sunrise
      is still hours away.

      Ray Shapp

      On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 4:15 AM, loro <tabbie@...> wrote:

      > Ray Shapp wrote:
      > >Please tell me your opinion about using target="_blank" in hyperlinks.
      > >
      > >Well over a year ago, this topic was discussed on this Y! group or on
      > >ntb-clips. I recall some folks advocated strongly, but I don't remember
      > what
      > >the arguments were in favor or against.
      >
      > I think it boils down to three main points.
      >
      > 1. It's bad practice, or at least redundant, to recreate behaviour
      > that every browser has built in. Back button, go to top and bottom of
      > the page, open a link in a new window...
      >
      > 2. It's definitely bad practice to force something on users that they
      > may not want. If links are left alone they can be opened in new
      > windows or not at will. If you use target="_blank." you take away the
      > user's power of choice.
      >
      > 3. It's said to be troublesome for people who use screen readers.
      >
      > That said, the darn thing is back in HTML5, so there goes some 10
      > years of work to get rid of it down the drain. But the points above
      > still apply and more and more sites stop doing it, even big ones.
      >
      > The sad thing is that people have gotten so used to off-site links
      > opening in a new window that they sometimes complain when they don't.
      > When informed about Shift-click, middle-click and what other ways
      > there are to do this yourself, it often turns out they had no idea
      > they could do that, at least not that they could do it easily without
      > using the context menu. The same way as many people don't know they
      > can change the text size even if there isn't a widget on the site or
      > make lines have a more comfortable length by resizing their browser
      > window (if the site doesn't make those things impossible). I believe
      > many more would know how to use their browser if sites hadn't made it
      > so hard at times. You try once or twice, it doesn't work, you forget about
      > it.
      >
      > As usual, it's a mess. But today it's spring outside, so who cares
      > about web messes? Not me when the sun is shining at last! ;-)
      > Lotta

    »
    «