6956Re: [NH] Question about special characters being replaced with '?' in HTML documents

    Feb 3, 2011
      John Shotsky wrote:
      > But since your problem is with lower-order ASCII characters,
      > I suspect it is Unicode.

      Beg to differ. I'm sure it's not the standard ASCII double quotes right
      there on the keyboard but the typographic ones higher up in the charset.
      I'd say when you paste into an existing document, that document already
      has its encoding set, and if pasted characters don't exist in it, that's
      it. A new document can still adapt itself.

      Whatever it is, the existing document and the one the new text is copied
      from are in some way incompatible.