6908Re: [NH] NoteTab Pro and TopStyle

  • Larry Hamilton
    Sep 19, 2010
      Dave,

      I started the ntb-Linux group to help people figure out how to run NoteTab
      on Linux or other OSes and environments. There were always sporadic
      questions on how to run NoteTab on Linux, so I made a list of all the posts
      that I had answered over the years, and started the ntb-Linux list 3 years
      ago tomorrow. Now, we just point people to that list instead of trying to
      figure out what other NoteTab list to use.

      We also help figure out issues with other Fookes products, like MailBag
      Assistant, etc.

      I was just trying to figure out something for a new member on that list.

      I install Wine on Linux, then I run NoteTab. The benefit of this is that is
      uses less resources, and I do not have to start Wine, like I would have to
      start a virtual environment, log into Windows, then start NoteTab. With
      Wine, I just start NoteTab, like I would in Windows. Windows is a faster to
      boot in this virtual environment. It is also more secure, since if it does
      get a virus, I can just delete the image and restore from a known good
      backup.

      Since TopStyle is supposed to talk with NoteTab and is used for checking
      HTML, I figured those on the ntb-HTML list might know something about it,
      which they did.

      Not being a TopStyle user, I did not install it right away in Wine, but
      instead I have VirtualBox OSE in which I have WinXP installed. I wanted to
      make sure that I could get it to work in WinXP, since Wine emulates WinXP. I
      have WinXP available to me in Linux via Virtual Box, so that I do not have
      to re-boot to check things in a Windows environment.

      I confirmed on my virtual WinXP that NoteTab 6.2 and TopStyle 4x no longer
      communicate like they once did. At the suggestion of another, I installed
      the lite version of TopStyle 3, and it works. I then installed that old
      version of TopStyle on Wine and it also works.

      While I was at it, I went to the list of Third Party applications in
      NoteTab's Help and downloaded all of them to try them in Wine, and TopStyle
      4x is the only one that ran in Wine, but did not communicate with NoteTab as
      did previous versions. Some of them had issues, which I documented on the
      ntb-linux list.

      I dual boot Linux and Windows 7. I am in Linux most of the time. Windows
      came with my new PC. I am stuck with Windows XP at work, and the PC had
      Vista with a free upgrade to Windows 7. This gave me a chance to play with
      two versions of Windows I only encounter when I have to remote in to help
      clients. I have a few programs that work better in Windows than Linux, but
      as Wine gets better, I need Windows less and less.

      ~ Larry