6873Re: [NH] A Tags INOP in MSIE, But OK in Firefox

  • Mick Housel
    Jun 8, 2010
      I disagree, there are times when using the target="_blank" is
      acceptable. As an example, I have a client that has numerous PDF files
      on their website. There is a link there so that folks can go download
      Adobe Reader, this link opens in another window as the client does not
      want his visitor to be taken away from his website while they download
      Adobe Reader. While the back button doesn't work in the new window to
      get back to the original page, it doesn't need to as the original window
      is still there. I wouldn't use target="_blank" to go somewhere in the
      same domain or on a regular basis when going to other domains but it has
      it's uses when going off-site for some things and is NOT necessarily
      impolite and inconsiderate, IMO.

      Mick

      On 6/8/2010 6:39 AM, Axel Berger wrote:
      <snip>
      > By the way: Please think about dropping the target="_blank". Opening new
      > windows on other people's screen real estate is extremely impolite and
      > inconsiderate and worst *it breaks the back button*, the worst
      > disruption possible.
      >
      > Axel
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic