6865A Tags INOP in MSIE, But OK in Firefox

  • Ray Shapp
    Jun 8, 2010
      To All,

      For nearly two years now, the A tags on just one of the pages of the mirror of
      my website on my local PC do not respond when the hyperlink is clicked in
      MSIE. The A tags all work normally in Firefox. I thought the problem would
      resolve when I upgraded to newer version of the browsers, but it persists in
      MSIE 8.0. I am now migrating to a new PC running Win7 Pro 64bit. The machine
      is very new and is lightly loaded, therefore, I have had little opportunity to
      corrupt the operating system or the browsers, yet the problem persists.

      To avoid any possible error being introduced by code in the rest of the page,
      I have stripped it down to the three lines you see below my signature. Those
      three lines are the total content of the web page called "gallry01.htm". That
      page and the page called "hubble01.htm" are both in the same folder.

      When I click on "test" in the Firefox browser, the hubble01.htm page opens
      normally. When I click on "test" in MSIE, I get no reaction of any kind --
      not even an error message. When I hover over "test" in MSIE, I can see the
      correct path and file name in the status bar
      (file///D:/asterism/gallery/hubble01.htm).

      Note that the spelling of "gallery" omits the letter "e" when it is used in
      the file name but the letter "e" is retained in the folder name.

      The online version of these web pages works normally in both browsers. To see
      this normal operation in context, please visit www.asterism.org and click
      "Photo Gallery". The photo of the Hubble team is the first image in the
      gallery. You can see the complete markup by right-clicking "View Source" on
      gallry01.htm in the right-hand frame.

      Please tell me why MSIE is unable to render gallry01.htm.

      Thank you for your help.

      Ray Shapp

      ***complete content of web page follows after one blank line***

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic