6568Re: [NH] centering image for all monitors

  • Cary
    Jan 8, 2009
      Basically, all modern, major browsers handle true xhtml, that is xhtml
      served as xhtml rather than html, except IE which will ask you to save
      the page as a file.

      Obviously, sites configured for access by the general public are set
      up to serve pages as html so IE won't choke. Xhtml 1.0 is fine for
      this purpose, but xhtml 1.1 should only be used if it is in fact going
      to be served as xhtml.

      --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, Greg Chapman wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > On 08 Jan 09 19:14 MotoMania said:
      > > Glad that got things started. I try to stay W3C XHTML 1.1 and CSS
      > > standard with any sites that I create or update.
      >
      > I understand that no modern browser actually renders true XHTML and
      > simply converts the code to HTML and renders that. In consequence,
      > there is little point in writing XHTML markup for web sites. These
      > days XHTML is seen as a (rare?) blind alley up which the W3C
      > travelled. Indeed, I believe there is now an W3C HTML v5 working group
      > to update HTML for the modern environment.
      >
      > I confess that I have never bothered to check out these tales (from
      > people I respect) which I read on other forums, but the snippets I do
      > read elsewhere suggest that their remarks are true.
      >
      > These days my own sites use HTML4 STRICT (which obliges use of CSS).
      > It certainly handles the vast majority of hassles I used to get with
      > some browsers.
      >
      > Greg

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic