6562Re: [NH] centering image for all monitors

  • Edward
    Jan 8, 2009
      From: "Axel Berger" <Axel-Berger@...>
      To: <ntb-html@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2009 4:32 AM
      Subject: Re: [NH] centering image for all monitors

      Alex wrote:

      > Sorry for being a nasty unhelpful soandso again, but your code does
      > not even validate and is full of mistakes. Validating tools exist
      > and trying to make anything surrounded by unvalid code do something
      > specific, be it sing, dance, or centre, is a mug's game.
      >
      > Apart from errors and typos like missing quotes there is one big
      > mistage: You let the user load down a huge image over his slow and
      > expensive connection and then use the browser's (any browser's) very
      > basic and substandard mechanism to scale it down. Always scale
      > images to the desired size first and insert them at exactly that
      > size.
      >
      > Axel
      and he also wrote:
      One shouldn't use *any* fixed size for fonts. It is up to the user to
      set up his browser to suit his monitor and eyesight and up to us to
      respect these choices. This means the basic font size for normal text
      should never be messed with and all other sizes, big, headlines, and the
      "small print", ought to be expressed in units of em. Many sites are done
      so badly that the only sensible choice is turning off the rendering of
      CSS completely. Is this what we want to force our readers (and sometimes
      voters and customers) into having to do?

      Alex,
      Of course you are correct and I will endeavor to make the necessary changes
      as time marches on. I really appreciate you help. I think letting the
      viewer be the master of the fonts is a great idea. Would you give me a web
      page site of yours so I can view the source and see exactly how you did
      this. I can read about it all day on W3C and never really fully understand
      what they are saying. Seeing the code on a page is very helpful and changing
      the fonts to the ones that I like would be great. Once again let me say
      thank you for replying to my questions. I really do appreciate all the
      critiques, I always find them very useful and the people on this yahoo group
      are always so good to pitch in and help.

      I will check the images, I thought I had photoshopped them down to a small
      resolution. Very sorry about that. I will do make the resolution smaller as
      time permits and before I put the pages up on a hosting site.
      Ed B
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic