6555Re: [NH] centering image for all monitors

  • MotoMania
    Jan 7, 2009
      Howdy Ed,

      I took a quick look at your source code and you were trying to solve the
      layout using tables inside of tables. As you discovered, nesting tables
      can quickly make it very difficult to figure out what is where without
      using different color borders for different tables or cells.

      I redid your layout using a single table that has 3 rows with 3 columns.
      Like sisterscape, I prefer using div's for layout purposes but tables
      have been used for years. Feel free to take a look the source code, I
      put in a few comments to try to help explain a few things. The bottom
      row of three columns were merged, mainly just to show that you can do
      that like if want to use it as a footer that stretches across the width
      of table as one area.

      Of course, you can change the table width to a set size in pixels, If
      wanted but that will keep the table from being "liquid".

      Here's that page I put together. Hope it helps a bit.

      http://www.mickhousel.com/edbrown/edbrown.html

      Mick

      Edward wrote:
      > I am having trouble getting an image to center after putting a table
      > with the links ot other pages on the left side of the page. I have
      > managed on my computer to center the statement beneath the image. You
      > can see what I have on the web at this address:
      > http://home.comcast.net/~ebrown1927/Weatherford/home.html
      > <http://home.comcast.net/~ebrown1927/Weatherford/home.html> The picture
      > and the statement was centered until I put the links on the left side,
      > that is where the owner wants the links, and then both the picture and
      > statement moved to the right. I have the statement now centered on my
      > computer but not on the web yet. But I have not been able to get the
      > picture to move left any amount, except it will move all the way over
      > next to the links. I want them centered below the top or opening
      > statement which is the title of the home page. When I try to use
      > absolute postioning the postion appears to change with monitor size. I
      > must not be doing something right.
      >
      > Ed Brown
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic