6500Re: [NH] Strange characters...

    Nov 9, 2008
      Bob Gorman wrote:
      >Just today I saw some strange characters when I upload a web page to my
      >website.
      >If I select View in Browser from NoteTab5, it displays OK.
      >The characters are superscript 1 and 2 and are in the same font as the
      >rest of my page, namely ComicSans.
      >But after I upload it to my ISP I get these funny looking characters.
      >It looks like
      >FF
      >FD
      >with a box around it.
      >Sound like something to do with font's but what?
      >If you want to see it, it's at:
      >http://www.kncell.org/ILP.html
      >at the bottom of the 1st table.

      I don't get anything fancy like that. Just question marks. :-(

      Character encoding mismatch. You declare UTF-8 on the server but I
      guess you wrote the page in Notetab, which means ANSI. Characters
      other than the basic ASCII ones are encoded differently in UTF-8 and
      ANSI/iso latin, so browsers throw a fit. Use ¹ and ² if you
      want to declare UTF-8 on the server and all should be well. Or change
      to iso latin on the server if you want to type the superscript characters.