6421Re: [NH] Cyrillic text written in NTP appears as question marks in browser

  • Roman Korol
    Jun 10, 2008
      The UTF-8 attribute in that meta tag, which you recommend, is one of
      my problems. I cannot use it, if I use Note Tab to prepare my text.
      Here's why.

      I am preparing a bilingual website: one side is English, the other is
      Ukrainian. The user can click between the two. Often I have a mix of
      the two languages on one page.

      Note Tab's text is never just "plain text", or a loosey-goosey "ANSI"
      text, as their faq claims. Note Tab uses a character code to display
      in Windows. It saves your files in that character code. But Note Tab
      does not provide a convenient means to find out what that character
      code is.

      http://www.i18nguy.com/unicode/codepages.html#msftwindows

      The character code that Note Tab uses for my text is Windows-1251 and
      sometimes I've also seen, upon checking, that it was Windows-1252.

      In the head section of the html code of a web page, that attribute in
      the meta tag specifying character code ("charset") has to correspond
      to the character code that Note Tab used to save your file. If it does
      not correspond, it will confuse your browser and you will get a dump
      of garbage on your screen when you launch the browser. Or, a dump of
      question marks.

      In my case, provided that Note Tab consistently saves my work in
      Windows-1251 code page (of which I am unsure), that meta tag should
      read as follows:

      <META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html";
      charset=windows-1251">

      I have tried launching my site with that metatag. The usual garbage
      ensued.

      (I checked my browser, incidentally, that it was correctly set to view
      Windows-1251. It was. But that made no difference).

      That is the point at which I wrote my question to this board.

      Now, I have also tried the metatag with "charset=utf-8". But, as
      expected, it did not work. For it to work, the code page of the saved
      text has to be changed from Windows-1251 (if that, indeed, is how Note
      Tab saved it) to Unicode. But Note Tab does not provide the means to
      do this conversion. Nor does Note Tab seem to want to work with
      Unicode in any case(see their faq).

      This is a serious problem. If you change your saved text to Unicode (I
      have done this), it will show up normally in the browser. But then,
      you cannot open that Unicode text in Note Tab, because this corrupts
      the text and all you will see is a series of question marks. This
      means you need a different text editor, at least for the final stage
      of your website preparation, if you want Unicode.

      --Roman