6334Re: [NH] Colors of link, vlink & alink when using a photo background.

  • sisterscape
    May 6 11:22 AM
      In addition to what Marcelo listed (he beat me to it!). . .

      If you are using a linked style sheet you shouldn't include the <!--
      -->.

      I also use " " around the image file name but can't remember why. Mac
      compatability?

      Added background: transparent ; to your links just to be safe a user
      doesn't see something funny.

      Try this:

      body { background-image: url("woodh1.jpg");
      color: #660000;
      font-family: Tahoma, Sans-serif;
      font-weight: bold;
      font-size: 90% }

      a:link {color: #660000 ; background: transparent ; font-weight: bold
      ; font-family: Tahoma, Sans-serif;}
      a:visited {color:#000000 ; background: transparent ; font-weight: bold
      ; font-family: Tahoma, Sans-serif;}
      a:active {color: #663333 ; background: transparent ; font-weight: bold
      ; font-family: Tahoma, Sans-serif;}

      Sister

      --- Marcelo de Castro Bastos <mcblista@...> wrote:

      > OK, in the first example your CSS syntax is just wrong. You are using
      >
      > HTML syntax in CSS, which won't work, unless the browser is more
      > forgiving than it should be. Your second example is MOSTLY right,
      > though.
      >
      > Let's see point by point:
      > - Don't use the equal sign to assign property values in CSS; use a
      > colon.
      > - Also, don't use quotes in the property values.
      > - "-1" is NOT an acceptable value for the "font-size" property.
      > Acceptable values are:
      > * Absolute-size keywords [ xx-small | x-small | small | medium |
      > large | x-large | xx-large ]
      > * Relative size keywords [smaller | larger ]
      > * Size in valid CSS units (px, pt, em, %) -- usage of em or % is
      > suggested as px and pt can cause problems.
      > - It's good practice to assign MORE than one name in the
      > "font-family"
      > property -- if the browser can't find the first font, it will try the
      >
      > second, then the third and so on, until it finds one it can use. A
      > good
      > idea is to use a generic font name as the last one. Generic font
      > names
      > are 'serif', 'sans-serif', 'cursive', 'fantasy', and 'monospace'.
      > - Although {font:bold} is a valid syntax, you should be careful using
      >
      > this: "font" by itself is a SHORTHAND syntax, supposed to set a
      > number
      > of attributes in one line, and it might end up setting attributes you
      >
      > didn't want to change. Try using separate properties to set each
      > attribute, like you did in your second example.
      >

      > Marcelo

      Be a better friend, newshound, and