6284Frames

  • bensbach
    Jan 18, 2008
      Some days ago I did a little re-vamping and put some
      additional documents on my website, on a server in the
      UK. The changes cannot be seen here in Thailand. Going
      on past experience it will take about a week for the
      changes to become visible. Have been told that websites
      are cached on servers around the world and these are only
      "refreshed" every so often. (?) Anyway, I cannot yet see
      what bugs the site may have, or even if it is there at
      all.
      Frustrating !

      The site, www.rainbow ends.org uses two vertical frames:
      a narrow left-hand one to list content and to the right
      of that the document being viewed.

      I gather that frames are rather disparaged these days,
      but the alternative until something better is widely
      adopted would seem to be tables.

      The problem with tables is:

      1) I do not have time to go manually updating large
      numbers of files every time the Contents changes
      (optimistically, I hope to do this more often in future,
      the site having been almost unchanged in seven years)

      2) I do not have any programming skills to automate the
      task.

      3) The content of a table is fixed, while the content of
      a frame can be changed with a mouse click

      At the foot of each document there is a link which now
      goes to a Categories Page which links to several Contents
      Pages. Each of the latter lists files that can be clicked
      on and brought up in the Main Frame.

      Previously there was just a single Contents Page, listing
      all documents (i.e. no Categories). But this made for a
      long and rather indigestible list of documents, which
      would have become longer still with additions.

      In the good old days, a person clicking on "Contents" at
      the bottom of a page would see all the documents
      available. If they came through the Front Page of the
      site, they would see this in the Main Frame, and if they
      came though a search-engine they would see it without any
      frames. Doubtless there was a better way of doing this,
      but at least there were no frames-within-frames.

      Now however, using modern browsers -- IE7 and Opera (not
      having tried with the others) -- this no longer works
      properly if one is not viewing the files from within
      frames. Maybe TARGET="xxx" confuses the browser when
      there is no TARGET="xxx".

      What happens is that the linked file is opened, but the
      focus remains on the existing file.

      With Opera, a new tab appears, but most people would not
      realise this and so would not click on it.

      With IE7, a new window opens, but this is often hidden
      behind the existing window.

      One answer might be to take people to the Frameset page.
      But is there is some way of preventing those already
      viewing within frames from picking up another set of
      frames ?

      Would this make the site less accessible to the search-
      engines ?

      Despite the frames, which it has always had, five years
      ago 65% of hits were via the search-engines -- although
      it had never been promoted to them.

      Now however, perhaps as result of the site's content
      remaining unchanged for so long, not only has the number
      of visitors fallen off considerably, but the proportion
      coming through the search engines has fallen to 35% of
      the total.

      Your advice and comments would be much appreciated.

      Eric Johnston

      p.s. Of the search criteria, the one that has brought by
      far the most visitors to my site is the word "torture".
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic