6196Re: [NH] DOCTYPES and content-type

    Nov 8, 2007
      WV-Mike wrote:
      > I checked the Control Panel for my provider and it was not
      > readily apparent to me where this might be done.
      > I did some googling on "indicate encoding is by means of the
      > HTTP headers". No luck.

      No. In practice, as far as I know, this route is only open to you if you
      run your own server. But you can turn it off. In my case the server sent
      a declaration of 8859-1 which clashed with my own META tag. If that
      happens to you, you can add this line to your .htaccess:

      AddDefaultCharset Off

      For a good overview of htaccess read this:
      http://wsabstract.com/howto/htaccess.shtml