6166Browsers Don't Render HTML

  • Ray Shapp
    Nov 3 8:27 PM
      Hello All,

      I am trying to help a friend get started with HTML. Two complications are
      that: a) I'm doing this long distance. He is over an hour away. b) He is using
      a Mac computer, and I have successfully avoided knowing anything about that

      Our first obstacle is that the short bit of code below is rendered by Firefox
      and Internet Explorer as text on my friend's Mac. IOW, the browsers don't
      display "Hello world.". Instead, they display all the text shown below. My
      friend is certain that the code is stored in a file called "test.html". He
      assures me that the file name does not have any hidden extension such as

      When I store the same text into a file called "test.htm" on my computer
      (running WinXP Home), it renders as expected in MSIE v6.0 and in Firefox

      Can you tell me what troubleshooting I should do to cause my friend's browsers
      to correctly render this bit of code?

      Thanks for the help.

      Ray Shapp

      <title>My first HTML page</title>