5167Re: [NH] non SGML errors . . . lot's of them

    Jun 3, 2005
      Hi loro & sisterscape,

      Just a short comment - long version below. If NoteTab sees binary
      characters it will mark the opened file as read-only. In this
      case, it would probably be safe to click on Document and uncheck
      Read-only if it is checked. Then do your replacements.

      >> suggestion 'I used the Edit button in IE to get it into
      >> NoteTab.' makes absolutely no sense to me. Apologies for being
      >> so dense . . . but could you explain a bit more? I really need
      >> to get a handle on this.
      >
      >No, it's I that am dense. I was tired and didn't explain
      >properly. I have added NoteTab at Tools | Internet Options |
      >Programs | HTML Editor. That is, it comes up when I use Edit, not
      >used the Edit button to get your code. For some reason the file
      >sometimes comes up as partly binary when I do and I have no idea
      >why that is so. If I download the same file with some other
      >method I don't get the binary warning.
      >
      >So I don't know. Maybe you could select the "illegal" space and
      >just do a Find and Replace. Can't check since the oddities are
      >gone now. Did you copy-paste from Word or some other Office
      >program or did WordPress put them in?

      Please understand what Help says (below) before making changes to
      binary documents such as *.doc, and *.exe, etc. I suggest you
      read this in full as well.

      Some servers and programs add a binary character at the end of the
      files. This is usually the case when you know they are text based
      files such as.txt and .htm. NoteTab detects the character and
      warns you that it may be a binary file like .doc, .jpg. NoteTab
      replaces the null character (binary value of no importance
      usually) with a replacement character. That assumes you have your
      binary features checked under the Files tab in Options. You can
      see the character in Options | File | Binary Replace Character.
      When NoteTab replaces it it also marks the file as read-only in
      NoteTab.

      You have a couple of options to take. One is if you know for sure
      the file is a text based file, take it out of read-only from the
      Document menu at the bottom and then Ctrl+End to get to the bottom
      of the document. This assumes that is where the binary/null
      character is and where they are normally inserted at. The NoteTab
      default replacement character is the center dot/center period. If
      you see it at the bottom, delete it and then save the file. If you
      upload to the server and then download again, and the same thing
      happens you can use the second option.

      The second option is to uncheck all the binary warnings in Options
      | Files. You can get there from the View menu. There are three
      binary options to be concerned with. Actually, you can leave the
      warnings there if you don't mind the error message every time you
      open one of these files. If you turn off all three, then just
      remember that you did so and do not try to edit true binary files
      like .doc (MS Word) files - you will surely corrupt them.

      The following is from Help (under the File tab in Options).

      Filter Binary Codes:
      By default, if you try to load a file that contains null
      characters (a character with a decimal value of 0), NoteTab will
      treat the first occurring null as the end of the file. This
      option lets you override this behavior by allowing NoteTab to
      substitute null characters with another character – defined in
      the "Substitute Binary Character" field. When set, you can load
      the full content of any type of file (including binaries).

      Important: saving files which have had characters substituted
      will not restore the control character! This option slows the
      text files.

      Warn Partial Loading:
      Warns if a file has only been partially loaded due to the
      presence of null characters. This option has no effect if "Filter
      Binary Codes" is set.

      Warn Binaries Substituted:
      Displays a warning message if binary characters have been
      substituted in the loaded document.

      http://www.notetab.net
      http://www.clean-funnies.com