515Re: [NH] Form submission from AOL

  • Grant
    May 29 4:07 AM
      > I have designed a form for an email type submission and placed it on my
      > website. It works OK for everyone but people who try to submit with an
      > AOL email address. I know that AOLNET :-) does things differently than
      > the 'regular' internet but is there anyway I can code the HTML so that
      > my friends from AOL Land can join in the fun?
      > Thanks for any insight on this subject.
      > Gary

      As far as I know is AOL browser is just ie in a special wrapper. The problem
      most probably lies in AOLs email client.
      I don't know we don't have AOL in NZ
      I could never get Pegasus to send the Body of the mailto form.
      I guess that the mailto protocal is a bit tricky because relies on MAPI and
      the behaviour of the email client.

      Anyway one solution I found was to replace submit button with a input button
      then use javascript to collect the output of the form. (also a good time to
      do validation checks) then open a new window and write to that window. This
      new document contained a form with a mailto action attribute and a single
      texterea and a submit button. Into the texterea was writen output from the
      openers pages form. In this way the sender can see exactly what is being
      sent and be given a choice to directly mailto submit or in case of this
      failing( as in your aol users) then the user could easily copy and paste
      the texterea into their email client.

      Nowadays however my hosting server allows me to send email directly from the
      web page. Much easier cause I don't have to worry about a clients browser.
      If you host is ii4 ii5 enquire about cdonts which makes this possible.
      If your host is some unix variant enquire what cgi scripts are available.
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic