5114Re: [NH] FireFox Equivalent to Which version of Netscape

  • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
    Mar 14, 2005
      On 14/3/2005 03:37, R Shapp invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

      >Hi Group,
      >
      >Does Firefox render web pages exactly the same as Netscape? The answer
      >probably depends on which version of Netscape is being used.
      >
      >All this good discussion of CSS has finally got me trying to learn to use it.
      >As I work through an on-line tutorial, I test each new line of code in MSIE
      >6.0, FireFox 1.0 and Netscape 7.1.
      >
      >In every test so far, FireFox shows its "bloodline", and renders exactly the
      >same as the Netscape browser. That gives rise to my question -- which is
      >the earliest version of Netscape that renders essentially the same as the
      >version 1.0 of FireFox?

      Hmm, let me put it this way...

      Both Netscape (versions 6.0 and higher, versions 1-4 are an entirely
      different beast) and Firefox use the same engine (Gecko) which was
      created originally for the Mozilla Suite. The Gecko version numbering,
      up to now, corresponds to a version of the Mozilla Application Suite.

      Don't bother with Netscape versions numbered 6.x. They are based on
      early releases of Mozilla which really weren't ready for prime time. I
      doubt many people ever used those.

      Netscape 7.0 is roughly equivalent to Mozilla 1.0
      Netscape 7.1 is about the same as Mozilla 1.4
      Netscape 7.2 is about the same as Mozilla 1.7
      Firefox 1.0 is about the same as Mozilla 1.7
      Firefox 1.0.1 is equivalent to Mozilla 1.7.6

      You can check the version number of the Gecko engine in the "Help/About"
      screen. There's a big string there that is the same as the default
      "User-agent" string that the browser uses to identify itself to servers.
      In my Firefox 1.0.1, for instance, that is:

      Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050223
      Firefox/1.0.1

      Notice the "rv:1.7.6" part? It's the version number of the Gecko engine.
      Another indication is the "Gecko/20050223", which gives you the DATE of
      this version -- in this case, February 23, 2005.

      Now... about rendering differences. Roughly speaking, not much changed
      in the rendering done by Gecko since version 1.0. So, you might expect
      that _any_ Nestcape 7.x, Mozilla 1.x or Firefox 1.x (and, for that
      matter, fairly recent builds of other Gecko-based browsers like Camino,
      K-Meleon and Galeon) will render about the same. If you use recent
      versions of all of those, the differences are negligible. Older builds
      may show small differences.

      Up to this month, the latest bleeding-edge version of Gecko could always
      be found in the most recent build of the Mozilla Application Suite, and
      a coulpe weeks later ported to Firefox (and other products). Recent
      changes in the Mozilla Foundation decreed that there will no new
      official versions of the Mozilla Suite; instead, development now will be
      centered directly on Firefox and Thunderbird. The product know as
      Mozilla Application Suite will undergo a name change (possibly to
      "Seamonkey", its internal codename up to now) and be developed by a team
      of volunteers not directly attached to the Foundation, in a similar
      way to other Mozilla-derived products.

      Marcelo Bastos
      -=-=-
      ... Common sense isn't...