4932Re: [NH] LOCAL XHTML TESTING

  • sisterscape
    Dec 12, 2004
      Some of the best discussions and tips ever on these issues can be found
      at http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1 My advice is
      that you code your site in the DOCTYPE you will be using. Switching at
      the last minute has been known to create problems. Quirks mode is
      triggered accidentally in xhtml by using the xml prologue or in fact by
      having any content above the DOCTYPE. Why not use xhtml 1.0
      transitional rather than HTML 4.01. And BTW, W3C validation and cross
      browser compatibility are two different things. Code can validate
      perfectly and bomb in some browsers.

      This thread is especially helpful
      http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171943

      --- weigheyeman <gft89@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      > I'm an experienced real time software engineer getting involved in
      > Web design. I have done a lot of reading, both books and web pages
      > and, after a lot of heart searching, have arrived at the following
      > strategy for developing web pages:
      >
      > 1. Develop and test the site initially using an XHTML 1.0 strict
      > DOCTYPE until I have the site working to my satisfaction. This will
      > be done locally on my PC (I will not upload the site). I hope that
      > this will set me on the right road to producing well formed XHTML
      > code which will be ready when more browsers (IE) support XHTML. I
      > intend to follow the W3C compatibility rules (Annex C) to make sure
      > that my XHTML is backwards compatible with HTML.
      >
      > 2. I realise that there are difficulties presenting XHTML to some
      > browsers (IE in particular) and that I will end up with the browser
      > treating my code as HTML in "quirks" mode. For that reason I intend
      > to change to HTML 4.01 strict DOCTYPE before going live and carrying
      > out validation and final testing.
      >
      > That's the background. The question is what is the best way of
      > testing and validating my XHTML code locally? I am not very clear how
      >
      > browsers, validators/linters, Tidy etc manage doctypes when looking
      > at code. How can I be sure that they are treating the code as XHTML
      > 1.0 strict and not HTML?
      >
      > Can anyone point me at any interesting sites or offer any
      > suggestions?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Charlie

      http://mail.yahoo.com