4925Re: [NH] [NTB] Browsers.dat changes

  • Larry Hamilton
    Nov 30, 2004
      I ran into the issues Alec mentions.

      I had to do the following with a clip that uses ^!URL [Firefox] .... in
      various clips:

      ^!IfAppOpen "* - Mozilla Firefox" SKIP_5
      ^!"G:\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"
      ^!SetHintInfo ^$GetDate(hh:nn:ss am/pm dddd, mmmm dd, yyyy)$
      ^!FocusApp "* - Mozilla Firefox"
      ;Modify the following: Replace My Links with the name of your browser
      start page.
      ^!IfDiff "^$GetAppTitle$" "My Links - Mozilla Firefox" Skip_-2
      ^!StatusClose

      ^!c:\php4\php.exe -f ^%File% > c:\php4\phptoss.htm

      ^!IFFILEEXIST "^%ErrorFile%" DISPLAYERROR
      ;// No errors to refocus on source code document
      ^!SetDocIndex ^%DocIndex%
      ^!URL [Firefox] c:\php4\phptoss.htm

      I knew I was doing something to get it working right. I have also found
      that if Firefox is not open, I get two tabs, a blank one on the left and
      the one it is trying to open. I also get an unexpected web page when I
      try to open a file from NoteTab using F8, etc. I had the browsers.dat
      file open in NoteTab and hit F8 with Firefox closed and it opened a
      blank tab and the second tab opened at http://www.notetab.com/! Spooky!
      Talk about "phone home"! ;-) Firefox must be doing a search and finding
      relevant meta tags. I have gotten web pages that had nothing to do with
      the file I was trying to open. Usually, I have Firefox open, since I use
      it about as much as NoteTab. I like it being "lighter" than Mozilla. I
      also love its tabs. ;-)

      Here is the contents of my firefox section of browsers.dat at work:

      [Firefox]
      Command="C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"
      UseDDE=0
      Application=Firefox
      DdeCommand=
      DdeEdec="%1",,%2,0,,,,
      Topic=WWW_OpenURL
      Application_New=
      DdeExec_New=
      Topic_New=

      Here is the contents of my firefox section of browsers.dat at home:

      I have a little note about the -browser switch. I have not tried it in
      the 1.0 final release. I do not recall if this was 0.9 or the
      pre-release of 1.0.

      [Firefox]
      Command="G:\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"
      ;NOTE: -browser opens Firefox without toolbars and with window long and
      top off the screen.
      ;Have to right-click icon on taskbar and choose maximize, but it is not
      remembered.
      UseDDE=0
      Application=Firefox
      DdeCommand=
      DdeExec="%1",,%2,0,,,,
      Topic=WWW_OpenURL
      Application_New=
      DdeExec_New=
      Topic_New=

      I was never clear what all these options did. I just put them all in as
      place holders. I have not tried commenting out the ones other than Command=.

      Larry Hamilton
      lmh@...
      My Webpage
      Sales Affiliate for Grisoft Anti-Virus

      Alec Burgess wrote:
      > ** moved to NTB-HTML **
      >
      > hsavage: >> I recall only 1 list responder that said they had
      >
      >>>FireFox working correctly ...
      >

      > With this browsers.dat definition of Firefox:
      > [Firefox]
      > Command="C:\Program Files\AmbPF\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"
      >
      > ie. *just the one line* and no DDE stuff and no "-browser" paramater
      >
      > and using:
      > FFox 1.0 and
      > Tabbrowser Extensions with with it set to use:
      > - only tabs and never windows:
      > - and with:
      > -- External Links from Other Applications=Open in New Tab
      >
      > setting Notetab-2nd Browser to [Firefox] I see the following behavior:
      >
      > - if Firefox is *not* open I get a 404 with an invalid URL
      > eg: trying to open : C:\TEMP\nospaces.htm
      > opens two pages - an empty (Untitled) page with the Address bar blank *and*
      > a second page with the incorrect URL: http://temp/nospaces.htm
      >
      > - once Firefox *is* open and still displaying the erroneous URL, again
      > clicking 2nd-browser on the above file this time opens it (and any others)
      > correctly as:
      >
      > As an experiment, I closed Firefox, reopened it from its startup shortcut.
      > This opens correctly and displays my HomePage as it should. Again clicking
      > 2nd-browser on the above file it (and any others) open correctly as above.
      >
      > Hyptothesis: there is some bug in FFox 1.0 which makes it fail to load the
      > page externally requested if FFox is not already running.
      >
      > Workaround: Start FFox manually before attempting to open pages from Notetab
      > or *expect* the first failure and just redo the Open from Notetab.
      >
      > Question: Anyone else seeing similar behavior and/or able to open a page in
      > a "non-browsers" window from Notetab even if FFox 1.0 is *not* already
      > running?
      >
      > Regards ... Alec
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic