4839Re: Can't set Note Tab as default editor in IE any more

  • Nigel Hall
    Oct 1, 2004
      Hi Marcelo,

      Thanks, it worked :)

      I had the other options that you suggested already selected in my
      folder options, but I did not have the "Hide Protected operating
      system files" unticked. When I unticked it, I could see the
      C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache folder, as you said, and when I renamed
      all three of the notepad.exe files, (the one in that folder) also
      those in the C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 and in the C:\WINDOWS
      folder, then opened NoteTab and went to "Help" in the drop down
      menu, at the top of the screen and selected "Replace MS Notepad..."
      it really did replace Notepad and now NoteTab is back as my default
      editor when I click on View/Source in Internet Explorer.

      I renamed the original notepad.exe files as notepadold.exe.

      Thanks very much for your help. It is great to have NoteTab back,
      as I want it. :)

      Regards,
      Nigel

      --- In ntb-html@yahoogroups.com, Marcelo de Castro Bastos
      <mcblista@t...> wrote:

      > "C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache" is a hidden and protected folder.
      You
      > have to open Explorer, go to Tools/Folder Options/View and
      select "Show
      > hidden files and folders", AND ALSO unselect "Hide protected
      operating
      > system files (recommended)" (ignore the warning, if you are
      worried
      > about it just turn it back the way it was after setting up
      Notetab). As
      > long as you're there, you might as well turn off the "Hide
      extensions
      > for known file types" and play a bit with the other options (just
      try
      > one at a time to find out what it does, and if that is for you).
      >
      > The default setup for the XP search sucks, by the way -- it
      tends to
      > *not* search in a *lot* of places. It needs quite a bit of
      tweaking
      > before it starts to be useful.
      >
      > --
      > Marcelo de Castro Bastos