4835Re: [NH] Can't set Note Tab as default editor in IE any more

  • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
    Oct 1, 2004
      On 1/10/2004 12:43, Nigel Hall invited the wrath of the gods by saying:

      >I can't find the folder C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache, I don't seem
      >to have it. Anyway, I renamed the notepad.exe file in
      >C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386, then I used the "Search" from the
      >Start menu to try to find all the notepad.exe files on my computer
      >and rename them. However, I can't rename either the one in
      >C:\WINDOWS or C:WINDOWS\system32 without the original notepad.exe
      >file reappearing, I have tried renaming both, but I am not able to
      >do it without the original files reappearing. According to
      >the "Search" function, these are the only two notepad.exe files that
      >are there now. I re-checked the C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386
      >folder and notepad.exe is not there any more, only the renamed
      >file. When I open NoteTab and try to replace Notepad with NoteTab,
      >it won't do it, and I am still left with Notepad opening up when I
      >click on View/Source in IE.

      "C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache" is a hidden and protected folder. You
      have to open Explorer, go to Tools/Folder Options/View and select "Show
      hidden files and folders", AND ALSO unselect "Hide protected operating
      system files (recommended)" (ignore the warning, if you are worried
      about it just turn it back the way it was after setting up Notetab). As
      long as you're there, you might as well turn off the "Hide extensions
      for known file types" and play a bit with the other options (just try
      one at a time to find out what it does, and if that is for you).

      The default setup for the XP search sucks, by the way -- it tends to
      *not* search in a *lot* of places. It needs quite a bit of tweaking
      before it starts to be useful.

      --
      Marcelo de Castro Bastos
      -=-=-